Monday, April 23, 2018

The Mermaid - Review

Author: Stephen Franck
Genre: Graphic Novel
Format: Paperback
Pages: 336



Once there was a mermaid who longed to know of more than her ocean home and her people. One day a fisherman trapped her in his net but couldn't bear to keep her. But his eyes were lonely and caught her more surely than the net, and so she evoked a magic that allowed her to walk upon the shore. The mermaid, Amelia, became his wife, and they lived on a cliff above the ocean for ever so many years, until one day the fisherman rowed out to sea and did not return.

P. T. Barnum was looking for marvelous attractions for his American Museum, and he'd heard a rumor of a mermaid who lived on a cliff by the sea. He wanted to make his fortune, and an attraction like Amelia was just the ticket.

Amelia agreed to play the mermaid for Barnum, and she believes she can leave any time she likes. But Barnum has never given up a money-making scheme in his life, and he's determined to hold on to his mermaid.


Okay, so I finished this book days ago, and since then have been trying to put into words all of my feelings about this book. I should start off by saying I was super lucky enough to get an advanced copy of this through the Penguin Random House booth at Emerald City Comic Con back in March. What follows is my honest review of The Mermaid by Christina Henry.

This is my second book by Christina Henry, and I can say I'm a huge fan of her writing style. She has an amazing way of telling a story that pulls right in and doesn't let me go. Even with story lines I'm not sure I'm going to love, she hooks me right in. I wasn't sure how I was going to fair on a book about a mermaid. But I'm happy I gave it a go.

Christina Henry's mermaid isn't like the ones your thinking. She's not human at all, but a creature of the ocean. One that has business with PT Barnum. It was absolutely wonderful to see the world through Amelia's eyes, especially a time period where women were very much seen and not heard. To understand that despite the glitz and glamour of the Gilded Age, there was darkness and a lot of things that just made very little sense.

I loved that PT Barnum wasn't made out to be a good guy. Christina Henry didn't throw any punches with his character and how far he'd go for freed. It was something I enjoyed. I also enjoyed watching Charity's character growth her knowing Amelia was amazing to see. Amelia herself is amazing. She knows who she is, and she knows that being a women doesn't hinder her in anyway. Though she's far from perfect. We get so the chinks in her armor, we get see her strength, and we get to see her grow as she learns about the world and what it means to human. Which isn't always a good thing.

The detail about the American Museum itself shows the amount of time and research went into this story. As well as the small glimpses of the fashion of the era.

I felt the entire story flowed so well together and all the pieces came together wonderfully. This had started out as my bus, but quickly became the only thing I was reading between work and life. To the point I fell asleep inside the book more than once! It's that good!

However, I'm not a hundred percent okay with how the book ended. It's a little bit about how things between Levi and Amelia changed toward the end of the book, and a little because it felt a bit rushed there at the end. Maybe it's because it left me wanting a little more time with Amelia. Maybe I wasn't ready for the book to done. But, that's why four stars instead of five. I just wasn't real happy with the ending.

The book as a whole, loved it! I just cannot gush enough about the writing, Amelia as a character as whole. It was a wonderful read and I'm glad I didn't have to wait until June to pick this up!

Buy, borrow, skip: You mean you haven't pre-ordered it already? Haven't put it on hold? What are you waiting for! Go now! And, pick up one of Christina Henry's other books while you wait!

HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment