Thursday, May 17, 2018

William Shakespeare's: The Phantom Menace - Review

Author: Ian Doescher
Genre: Sci-Fi / Re-telling
Format: Ebook
Pages: 176

Join us, good gentles, for a merry reimagining of Star Wars: Episode I as only Shakespeare could have written it. The entire saga starts here, with a thrilling tale featuring a disguised queen, a young hero, and two fearless knights facing a hidden, vengeful enemy.

'Tis a true Shakespearean drama, filled with sword fights, soliloquies, and doomed romance... all in glorious iambic pentameter and coupled with twenty gorgeous Elizabethan illustrations. Hold onto your mini-chlorians: The play's the thing, wherein you'll catch the rise of Anakin!


I forgot how much I love this series! In fact I don't even have a good reason as to why it took me this long to finally pick it back up. Even though I dislike these movies, Ian Doescher worked his magic and made me find a reason to love them. He might have even given me a few reason to enjoy JarJar, just a few. Though, I still find C3PO annoying not matter in what form he's written.

Hats off to Ian Doescher as well. Not only for how many times he had to watch this movie, but for how amazing this book flowed. Writing in iambic pentameter is hard enough, but having to do while describing a podrace and droid battle to the point the have to make sense. Amazing!

Personally I felt the book flowed well and had great pacing. While this was suppose to be a bus book, it quickly become a while I was cooking, not into this show, and right before bed book. Devoured faster than I do most books, and I've already downloaded the next book in this series. Not because I enjoy the prequels, but because I can't wait to see how Ian Doescher writes angsty Skywalker. 

A lot of work went into this book and it shows. Never once did the theme of the book drop. The characters were as true to themselves as I remember them being. Though I have to admit it's been so long since I've seen this movie I had to go back and check to see if things really happened. I forgot Padme had a body double. I forgot about how the movie even opened up, and I also forgot that Skywalker has always crush on Padme. 

Also, I loved famous moments of Shakespeare's work appeared throughout the story. Which as a lover of most of Shakespeare's work, I enjoyed. And, got a few weird looks on the bus when I laughed. Which is fine, this book is totally work the odd looks. It might have even convinced to re-watch the movies. Maybe. 

But, I'm definilty picking this series back up and getting caught up in time to catch the next book in the series, Jedi the Last.

Buy, Borrow, or Skip: Personally I borrowed this one from local library, but anything that gets you to pick up this series is a plus. It's hilarious and so well put together.

No comments:

Post a Comment