Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Waiting on Wednesday

Can't-Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Wishful Endings to spotlight and talk about the books we're excited about that we have yet to read. Generally, they are books that have yet to be released but don't have to be. It is based on Waiting on Wednesday, hosted by the fabulous at Breaking the Spine.


On a quiet midsummer day in 1776, weeks after the signing of the Declaration of Independence, thirteen-year-old Jemima Boone and her friends Betsy and Fanny Callaway disappear near the Kentucky settlement of Boonesboro, the echoes of their faraway screams lingering on the air.

 A Cherokee-Shawnee raiding party has taken the girls as the latest salvo in the blood feud between American Indians and the colonial settlers who have decimated native lands and resources. Hanging Maw, the raiders’ leader, recognizes one of the captives as Jemima Boone, daughter of Kentucky's most influential pioneers, and realizes she could be a valuable pawn in the battle to drive the colonists out of the contested Kentucky territory for good.

 With Daniel Boone and his posse in pursuit, Hanging Maw devises a plan that could ultimately bring greater peace both to the tribes and the colonists. But after the girls find clever ways to create a trail of clues, the raiding party is ambushed by Boone and the rescuers in a battle with reverberations that nobody could predict. As Matthew Pearl reveals, the exciting story of Jemima Boone’s kidnapping vividly illuminates the early days of America’s westward expansion and the violent and tragic clashes across cultural lines that ensue.


Why I'm Waiting: I've never heard about Daniel Boone's daughter being kidnapped, it's not one of the things my many history classes ever touched on. 

HAPPY READING!!

4 comments:

  1. I would so read this. My dad use to tell me stories about Daniel Boone all the time, and I am not sure I have really read anything about his life, or knew he had a daughter

    Here is my link:
    https://twogirlsandtheirbookishlife.blogspot.com/2021/09/cant-wait-wednesday-four-aunties-and.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, even what a little I know is muddled due to how long Middle School was. LOL!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, this sounds so cool! I love historical books that are things you didn't know about such famous people as Daniel Boone. Great pick!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm excited for this one, I feel like his daughter being missing should have been more of plot point during History.

      Delete