Friday, February 10, 2023

Beast and the Bethany #2 - Review

Author: Jack Meggitt-Phillips
Genre: Middle Grade 
Format: Kindle Book
Pages: 272

I adore this series! I stumbled across this series a couple of years ago through NetGalley, and time passed as it does. Through the passage, I didn't realize that Jack Meggit-Phillips not only continue the series, but I missed the release of the second book. The upside is that books never expire so thankful the third book in the series came to cross my FYP Instagram. Because what I didn't remember about this book was that it was absolutely adorable, I loved Bethany, and the storyline is great for readers who grew up with Roald Dahl. 

This book series is as weird as you think it's going to be, and personally, I loved that Meggitt-Phillips leaned all the way into it. The first book was weird, but this was a whole new level of weirdness. I would say somewhere between Roald Dahl and Terry Pratchett.

Revenge of the Beast takes place not long after the first book ends. At the core of the story is about Bethany and Ebenezer learning to do good things, but with the class twist of the Beast doing everything in power to make sure Bethany is isolated always seen for her old ways. Sure there is a lesson in there about pranks gone too far and thinking rationally instead of reacting. All great things for readers of all ages to learn.

But, I liked that we got more of a look at Ebenezer's backstory. We know how old he is, it's one of the main points from the first book. But, having that number and then seeing little Ebenezer through memories are two different things. You honestly feel a little bad for him because he didn't stand a chance against the Beast from day one. All he ever wanted was a friend. 

I also liked how those flashbacks were important to the end of the story in a small way. Everything came to circle in a really fun sort of way. And, Ebenezer found his backbone! I knew he could do it! Honestly I adore this series. It's wholesome and fun and completely ridiculous. I already have book three borrowed from the library sitting on my Kindle.


HAPPY READING!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment