Saturday, February 18, 2023

Eat the Rich - Review

Author: Sarah Gailey
Genre: Horror
Format: Paperback
Pages: 144

Hi, I knew that Sarah Gailey was writing something in the Buffy Universe and was super excited about that. What I didn't know was that they had a whole freaking original series as well! This is one of my favorites finds over my birthday weekend.

It's also the reason I'm so glad I took time off reading after my monster of reading in January. Because this was gold! 

Now, while Sarah Gailey is an insta-buy author for me, I don't always click with everything they right. Which is cool, not every book is meant for everyone. So I always go into their books with an open mind. 

In case the fangirling above didn't tell you, I absolutely enjoyed this! I fell in love with Joey on the first page, bless her anxiety. I question things like this all the time, I'm also very awkward in most social situations. Even worse when the word fancy is involved. So right out of that gate, I bonded with her. 

And, Sarah Gailey didn't hold back either. Not even through the first issue and people are being eaten. It's not a spoiler the word cannibalism is the summary. (And, that is a word I've gotten way to comfy spelling in the last few months).

Overall this solid story, solid stand-alone, and the team that did the artwork were awesome. It matched exactly how felt an original story form Sarah Gailey should feel with colors, and the panels were easy to follow as the story progressed. No guessing which panel is next.  (There's a whole rant there for later.)

I also really liked the over all message of the story. How much are we willing to endure for a good job? Personally, I stayed at one of my jobs too long. The perks surely out weighed the bad. And, no one was trying to eat me there.

Is it so far-fetched that people would allow themselves to be hunted and eaten for decent wages, good insurance, and good schools? Honestly, I don't think so. I see how long a stayed at a job that had me living pay to pay check because it was a 'good job'. 

People will do crazy things to make sure their families are looked after. Besides, if it's just a retirement clause, you'll be old anyway. And, whose to say there wasn't a retirement pension for your remaining family? After all, you don't want them asking too many questions...


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment