Monday, February 20, 2023

House of Slaughter: Scarlett - Review

Author: James Tynion IV
Genre: Horror
Format: Paperback
Pages: 144


This series! Actually, this entire world that James Tynion has created is brilliant! And I'm really enjoying that we're getting pieces of a massive showdown not just from Erica's point of view. This series, House of Slaughter is bringing in new characters and through them, we're learning about the Order, the Oscuratypes, and what's coming for the House of Slaughter. Personally, I really enjoy this because we're getting a look at the Order through different sets of eyes, along with various Oscuratypes, but learning about the world the Order lives in at the same time.

I think that's why I like this series so much. It's not just the new main characters we've been introduced to, but characters that better get eaten by Oscuratypes. But bringing in backstories gives us more people to root for, and keeps the story going without feeling stagnant or repetitive.

Honestly, as much as I adore Erica and Aaron they are great. But, Edwin is such a soft soul and his back story is absolutely heartbreaking. Okay, so every child who comes through the Order of St George has a trauma by the bucket loads, and that place doesn't help. Edwin's story feels worse somehow. Maybe because no one wanted him and he was basically left for dead by the white masks. Which no one was surprised about. Maybe it's the lack of faith anyone seemed to have in him. Even his own Scarlett Masks.

Still, it was cool to see a bit into the world of the Scarlett Masks. They've been talked about briefly in the other books, but this is the first time they've taken center stage. And, really my only complaint was that we'd have gotten a little more about the inner working of the part they play with the Order. Other than a couple of them being catty toward Edwin, and unbelieving of his story. We didn't get to see much.

Though, Edwin's part of the story was great. It was almost three stories in one. While the main story is the same, it's all about how Edwin fits past is so important, it's the three ways in which it was told that were really interesting. One point of view is of course Edwin (and a few moments with other Scarlet Masks), one is through some campers telling ghost stories, and the last is from the Oscuratype itself. Because Edwin's story is different from that of other children who came into the Order.

Do I know how this is all going to play out? No, I haven't puzzled it all together yet. I know that Erica and Edwin are going to play big roles in how it ends. Though I have no idea if they'll be on the same side. I still have no idea if we'll ever see Aaron again. I do know there is a list of Scarlet Masks I'd love to see dead. Eaten by the Oscuratypes. I also know I cannot wait for the next volume!



HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment