Thursday, March 16, 2023

Beast and the Bethany #3 - Review

Author: Jack Meggit-Phillips
Genre: Middle Grade
Format: Kindle
Pages: 277

This is the third book in the Beast and the Bethany series. Just a few short weeks after the second book ends, Bethany and Ebenzeer are still trying to be good. Only now they babysit a Beast who has forgotten its old ways and wants to be good as well.

It was great to see Ebenezer and Bethany continuing the do-gooding from the last book. And, I loved seeing both characters growing from book to book. It was also great to see more of the Wintarlion parrots and Claudette finally makes her way home. 

I loved that Bethany was finally finding herself, and I love that Geoff kept trying to ask her on a not date, date. That was super cute. And, I love spending with Miss Muddle in the candy shop. That's always controlled chaos, and I'd love to try some of her confections.

However, as much as I liked this book and how it ended with Bethany's parents. Also with the hint of maybe a fourth book. This was not my favorite book in the series. While the message of second chances is always a good one, no matter what age of readers books are designed for.

And, Bethany and Ebeenzeer are trying their best to deserve that second chance. I hate how D.O.R.R.I.S. was treated by Ebenezer and Bethany. Ebenezer wasn't given a choice about the Beast. In fact, Nick bullied him into helping the Beast despite the fact that Ebenzeer was trying to distance himself from the influence of the Beast. 

And, to try to saddle Bethany into helping was unfair. The Beast tried to eat her... Why would you ask her to help The Beast be good? Particularly when you have zero proof it's actually changed a leaf.

So I don't blame Bethany for what she did. Kudos to Ebenezer for trying in his own way. But, honestly, I feel like the Beast shouldn't have been their problem. I had a hard time finishing this one because I was just frustrated with the story.

And, maybe it's because I'm an adult trying to rationalize a book meant for kids. Maybe I'm putting too much emotion into it. 

Still, this was everything I came to expect from this series. It was great to see all the characters we've come to enjoy making throughout the last two books. Though I'd be fine with the Beast no longer being a part of this book. I feel like Bethany and Ebenezer could have held the story together without him.

But, I'm excited to see if we get a fourth book about Bethany's parents and where they've been all this time.



HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment