Thursday, March 30, 2023

Wynd Vol 2 - Review

Author: James Tynion IV
Genre: Graphic Novel
Format: Paperback
Pages: 117

I'm enjoying this series, even if this one was a punch right in my feelings. Wynd is one of those series where I'm tempted to buy the issues instead of waiting for the third volume to come out. Even though I prefer to normally read the volumes instead of waiting for each issue. I know that's not sound logical since that usually means I wait longer, but it's usually worth it to get the whole installment in one go. But, I'm attached to Wynd and others. 

Maybe I'm a sucker for a young adult, chosen one, trope. Because Wynd follows several tried or true fantasy tropes. James Tynion IV warps this tropes into a wonderful story in this magical land. I love that Oakley tries to be the voice of reason because she sees how dangerous this path is getting. I love that Thorn isn't just some big dumb muscles, but he has this huge heart. And, the Prince, he's trying, but he's not very good with people.

And, while I definitely liked Teek, I'm not totally sure I like the cousin. He's an eager beaver, and full of knowledge, but a little too eager in my opinion. No one wants to rule that bad. 

Volume Two picks up just a few days after the last volume is left out, and we don't get a second to breathe. The plot moves quickly two a double cross that ties back to the Bandage Man. We also finally get a look more of Wynd's backstory. I'm really glad we aren't really dragging it on who, and what, Wynd is. He may not know it yet, but the reader has been given enough clues through the panels to know what is what.

I like the story is telling us enough that we can start to put the pieces together. Do I know what's about to happen in the next volume? No, no I don't. Am I glad we didn't drag out Wynd and Thorn into this will they won't they situation? Yes, I am. Because that is one fantasy trope that I hate. Things are really dire and you have zero control, but that is one place you have control. Don't make me smoosh your faces together!

What I do know about the next volume is that isn't going to hurt. Oakly's father is probably involved somehow, though I'm not sure if it's the way I think. If it is, just so much pain. My feelings will go right into a wood chipper. But, I'm so excited for the third volume.

Between the story, the beautiful artwork, and the characters I'm hooked! I'm glad I finally jumped into this series.



HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment