Saturday, January 11, 2020

Dread Nation - Review

Series: Dread Nation #1
Genre: Historical Fiction / Horror
Format: Hardback
Pages: 455

I knew I was going to enjoy Dread Nation because it has all the elements that I look for in a story. The cover was being fantastic was the cherry on top. What I didn't know, however, was just how far I would fall into this book. Sometimes when I read a book by a new author it takes me a few chapters to get a feel for their writing style. That was not the case with Justina Ireland's writing style. I jumped right into the first day and devoured a good chunk before sleep forced me stop.

Never once did I have a hard time picking this book back up when being forced to put it down. I though the story had great pacing throughout the plot. Things never slowed halt because chapter had little moments of information, tidbits of things about the past of this version of history, or a small look into Jane's past. Something to keep my attention and hurl me into the next chapter. Huge kudos to Justina Ireland on how seamlessly those flashbacks appeared. I didn't feel like the pulled away from the story at all, because they were Jane's memory of things and not just a information drop.

Along the lines of pacing, I thought the plot developed wonderfully as well. The first part of the story introducing us the key players of the game, and each little mystery leading to a bigger conclusion. Each moment sort of leading to something bigger, some grand purpose. Hints of things that Jane was capable of, and how the undead might be evolving. I was captive from start to finish.

I also really enjoyed how Justina Ireland played with our history of the "Gilded Age". How things changed once the shamblers, or zombies as well all them, started rising. But, how things stayed the same at the same time. I liked that didn't pull her punches as she wrote about horrid things in our history, didn't gloss over them. There were a few chapters where I was uncomfortable, and had a time turning the page. But, I should have felt this way. No one should have gone through what any of these people went through. The Rising may have changed the course of the Civil War, but didn't change the fact that people are cruel.

Which is what I liked most about this book. They are fighting zombies, shamblers, that is the new threat to our world. However, the biggest threat, the biggest villain, is still human nature. Something Justina Ireland painted wonderfully in this story.

Just like she did with her characters, who are felt whole and well thought out. Even side characters had backstories, pain they waded through. Though, Jane was my favorite at first. I kept wanting to shake some sense into her. But, that was the point, she was naive and made mistakes that lead them to Summerland. She grew on me as the story progressed. As he learned from her mistakes, as he grew to care about Katherine. Whois the perfect yin to Jane's yang and really didn't enjoy their friendship. My favorite part about Justina Ireland's characters is how much you hate the villains. I honestly was sad none of them got eaten by shamblers. I'm also sad Jackson doesn't either, he is hands down my least favorite character. He's that character that always seems to slide out of trouble at the last possible second.  And, he knows how slick he is too. So it's worse.

However, the saving grace of Summerland is Mr. Gideon. I really enjoyed him. He's a man out of time with the way he thinks and sees the world around him. The reason I like him is, despite knowing who he is, I still have so many questions. Starting with how did he become such a good shot. Followed by what did he do to get sent to Summerland besides the obvious political difference between him and his father.   I'm also not amused we do not know his fate at the end of the book.

In fact I think that be the one thing I'm most upset about, and I don't want to wait until February to find out! There is stress there. So much stress!

One last thing I want to give props to Justina Ireland before I wrap this review up. Thank for their not being a romance in this book. Yes there is a history with Jackson, and yes Jane and Mr. Gideon made eyes at each other. But! There was no real romance. Jane was forced to save herself time and time again without the help of a man. Or with the want of one really I feel. Jane stepped to save the day when she was needed to, and had the courage to run when she needed to. But, it was nice to see the dance between her and Mr. Gideon. To see another side of Jane, to know she might have smoother edges we just couldn't quite see.

All-in-all a wonderful book I highly recommend. Because it is so much more than a zombie book. It's a look into a time, not so long ago, where we did horrid things to each other. A look on despite literal monsters roaming around, humans are still the worst of them all. It's beautifully written, and I cannot what to see what is in store of Deathless Divide the next book in the series. 


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment