Saturday, December 11, 2021

Daphne Byrne - Review

Author: Laura Marks
Genre: Graphic Novel
Format: Paperback
Pages: 144
This was my first jump into the Hill House series. I'm a huge fan of Joe Hill's and I was excited for this series, especially this book because I love Victorian Gothic. I was drawn to this one because it's set in New York instead of London which is a twist from the norm. 

I don't want to say I was disappointed in this one because it was okay, but I expected more from the story. I kept waiting for the story to get good, to expand on what was happening to Daphne. There were these little hints that kept me thinking there was going to be more to this story. There was the mysterious death of Daphne's father, her mother's obsession, and the voice that Daphne keeps hearing. All of it seemed like a great mix, but I was left wanting through the whole story.

Daphne had the potential to be a great main character. I'd loved her pluck and determination to save her mother. The way she fought to even save herself. But, I feel like she was almost waisted. There was one good scene of her using her "powers", and we don't even know they were if they were her's or her father's power. She's a great character though and wished she would have a longer story arc.

Like a said I felt like when I kept waiting for the story to happen. There was a lot of setup for a great story, but then everything from the climax to the end felt very rushed. I was also not super happy with the ending. Not only was it rushed, but really it's weird and a little gross. The demon thing keeps telling you to call him brother and you're kissing him. Really? 

I will say I really liked the artwork that Kelley Jones did for this story. I found Brother super creepy at times in that way that the old-style dolls are creepy. Their style of art fits the story really well. It's almost a bit like the old newspaper cartoons. Everything had a hard edge and a lot of shadows around it, and only certain panels and pieces that had full detail. Everything was vague and shadow. It worked well with the story I wanted this to be. 

Daphne Byrne was okay. Personally, I think only having one book hurt this story. There was potential to be drawn out through two or three volumes. One book rushed Laura Marks story and I was personally left a little wanting.

HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment