Saturday, December 4, 2021

Hunters of the Lost City - Review

Author: Kali Wallace
Genre: Middle Grade / Fantasy
Format: Paperback
Pages: 301

A huge thank you to Quirk Books for an early copy of Hunters of the Lost City

I was excited about this because I've heard really good things about other books by Kali Wallace, and I have another of her books on my TBR. So, I had some pretty high hopes for this book. Also, this book arrived at the perfect time because I'd been reading some intense books before this. Nothing like a wholesome novel to clean your pallet after books that have messed with your sleep schedule. 

Due to the fact this book isn't set to be released until April 2022, this will be a spoil-free review.

A hundred percent this is a trope I've read before in Middle-Grade Fantasy novels, and will definitely read again. It's one of those tried and true tropes, and I really liked the spin that Kali Wallace put on it. While I know this trope well, the world and characters that were crafted within this trope kept me turning pages. Also, the fact it's a well-used trope made it easy for me as an adult reader to slip into the story. It's a comfortable read, one where I know what's going to happen and kind of know who was going to be our villain.

I will say that I was so focused on that main villain that I didn't see the smaller villain sort of sneaking up on me until they were introduced. So that was nice, even though looking back I can see the foreshadowing put into their arrival. 

Even though the story was easy for me to read and sort out what was going to happen early on in the book. I think younger readers, they'll have to put a little bit of work into it, but Wallace does an amazing job of foreshadowing. As well as giving just information to start forming ideas along the way as the story unfold. I will also say while I figured out who was controlling the Ferox fairly early, I didn't figure out the why. Another piece I should have caught early on because the answer to that question was also foreshadowed.

Wallace's world-building was also really great. As readers, we get a small look at two of the communities set in this world that were vivid and amazing, and we get a thorough look at Vittoria. Which later makes it easy to follow the end of the book as everything happens rather quickly. My only complaint really about this book as a whole needed a map would have made everything a little easier. I love a map in fantasy books to give me a sense of distance and even a city layout. I just really love a good visual aid.

The upside is, I saw that the finished copy will have two maps. So I can't complain too hard.

Hands down my favorite thing about Hunters of the Lost City is that it's not a "chosen one" story. Octavia sort of stumbles into the hero role more than anything. She tries to do a nice thing, and in the process uncovers what is really happening behind Vittoria's walls and gets thrust into this adventure. However, I love that Octavia just sort of accepts that this is what she needs to do, and that the people of Vittoria need to know the truth of what's really outside their walls. 

I also really like that not only does Octavia make mistakes throughout this entire book, but she learns from them. She listens to the people around, she doesn't fly off and think she knows what's best, and both of those things are refreshing in any fantasy novel. There is a decent amount of communication from those helping Octavia, and no one is keeping her in the dark on purpose. The latter annoys me in fantasy because how can they be chosen if they are also clueless? 

So this book hit a lot of positives for me from start to finish. This is definitely more of a quest book than anything. The battle portion of this book is small and over very quickly. This is more about Octavia growing up than saving her people. With that, I think the ending is fitting and I'm happy it was more of an open ending. Yes, the main plot points had a solid ending but we don't know what the future holds for Vittoria.

There were other little things that annoyed me about this book, but as a whole, they are things that annoy about a lot of Middle Grade and Young Adult fantasy books. Most of them center around Octavia's parents. Nothing worth a deep dive into. This book was adorable and a lot of fun to read. Great for both Middle-Grade readers and adults who enjoy Middle Grade reads themselves. Because sometimes it's nice to read a book with a guaranteed happy ending.

Hunters of the Lost City comes out April 26, 2022!


HAPPY READING!!


No comments:

Post a Comment