Thursday, March 28, 2024

Unbecoming A Lady - Review


Author: Therese ONeill
Genre: Nonfiction
Format: Hardback
Pages: 256


Seven years since I got to crack open a book for the first time by Therese ONeill. It seems like a lifetime ago, but it was worth every second of the wait. Because before I even broke the spine on this one I knew I was going to love it. I knew this was going to be one of my favorite books this year.

And it did not disappoint. I don't think there was one section of this book I didn't find interesting to some degree. 

Most of the women in these pages I had never heard of before. I think only knew of four of the women, and what I knew about them was small, a footnote of every history class I've ever taken. But the rest, I had no idea how they were. Oddly enough I knew some of the organizations they helped found or the ideas they tried to push. One was the creation of a department store I have totally shopped in my lifetime. 

Which is what makes this book so important. Not because what these women did was right every single time. Some were crazy, but others were amazing without even trying to be.

This was a book that I shared with my roommate as I was reading. Talked about this with friends who also read, and pushed me to Google more about these women. I cannot imagine the amount of research that Therese ONeill had to do to create each of these little chapters. Because they were little but back full of facts, jocks, and even a bit of social commentary.

But, what I love so much about ONeill's books, is how easy they are to read. They don't get dry or stuffy. You never once feel like you're being talked at. It feels like ONeill is sitting with you telling about these women who shaped and wrapped history. Some for the better, and some for what they thought might be the better. 

This a great jumping-off point for anyone wanting to learn more about the forgotten women of history. It's fun where it needs to be, purposeful, and ONeill knows when history needs fewer jokes or more facts.

I learned so much through this book, and I'm excited to have another of her books on my shelf! My fingers are crossed to get another book from ONeill in the future. Even if I have to wait seven more years!




HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment