Thursday, March 15, 2018

Silver - Review

Author: Stephen Franck
Genre: Graphic Novel
Format: Paperback
Pages: 180


Expanding Bram Stoker’s original universe fifty years hence, into the pulp era of the 1930’s, SILVER introduces James Finnigan, a witty but (figuratively) soulless con man, who sets out to separate the living-dead from their precious silver.
Personality conflicts, emotional entanglements and character comedy abound, as Finnigan assembles the crew of talented but broken misfits needed to pull off the heist of the last ten centuries.


I discovered this Graphic Novel last year at Emerald City Comic-Con and fell in love. Silly me I didn't pick up both Volume 1 and 2. Mostly because I wasn't sure how I'd like a continuation of Bram Stoker's Dracula. It's hands down one of my favorite of the Classics and I've been disappointed one too many times with re-tellings and continuations.  

Sometimes it's good to be wrong. This year I not only picked up the last two installments to this story, but the prequel as well! 

What I like most about this series is quite a few years have passed since Dracula ended and starts Silver Volume 1. It's given the world time to forget what happened in London, to forget about the Van Helsing name, and that vampires exist. So it's a whole new world to jump into before short of going back time when we finally get to the vampires.

Another thing I enjoyed is who the story is about. Silver doesn't follow about Abraham Van Helsing's kin, she's just another part of the story. A part of the team Finnigan put together to go after the Silver Dragon. In fact the whole story is told through his POV and I really enjoyed that. Mostly because I'm not the biggest fan of Sledge. I get it she's a Van Helsing so that means she's had a pretty horrid childhood. But, ugh...really?! 

I adore James Finnigan. He's everything a love about good Noir novel. That slick, cool, bad guy that always has a trick up his sleeve, or some piece of the puzzle he just forgot to mention.

Oh, and the artwork! I love that it's all in black and white. It works because Silver is written in a Noir style despite having vampires inside story. So for me it works because it sort of pulls on that nostalgia of The Maltese Falcon and Dick Tracy.

I really liked this story and I'm super excite for Volume Four. Sadly there's not date for when that will be, but hopefully I won't have to wait a whole year! Because for as great as was to see how it all worked out, but dude?! Which one of those futures is true?! You can't just stop it there brah?! Like...

It's gonna be a long wait. Even with the prequel to keep me company.

Buy, Skip, or Borrow: Buy or Borrow. Which ever gets you to read this bad boy! If you like vampire, Noir, or just looking for something a little more bad guy and lost less good guy. This is for you!

HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment