Friday, March 23, 2018

The Magic Misfits #1 - Review

Author: Neil Patrick Harris
Genre: Middle Grade
Format: Hardback
Pages: 256




When street magician Carter runs away, he never expects to find friends and magic in a sleepy New England town. But like any good trick, things change instantly as greedy B.B. Bosso and his crew of crooked carnies arrive to steal anything and everything they can get their sticky fingers on.

After a fateful encounter with the local purveyor of illusion, Dante Vernon, Carter teams up with five other like-minded kids. Together, using both teamwork and magic, they'll set out to save the town of Mineral Wells from Bosso's villainous clutches. These six Magic Misfits will soon discover adventure, friendship, and their own self-worth in this delightful new series.

Oh my gosh! I'm a little upset with myself that I put this book off last years. How cute was that?! To be fair I honestly wasn't sure I'd like. Yes, I'm a rather big fan of Neil Patrick Harris, but that doesn't mean I'd like his writing style. It also doesn't mean that I'd like this story. Sometimes Middle Grade book are just too young for me. Which is fine, that actually mean for readers who've finally hit their dirty 30's.

But, it's good to be wrong.

The Magic Misfits is super adorable. Carter is an amazing main character with such a good attitude and super smart. The rest of the cast are just as sharp and fun to read. I couldn't help but hope everything worked over the Magic Misfits as they slowly came together. To see Carter find a bit of what he was looking for, and a bit of what he wasn't.

Mineral Wells is a cute little small town that reminded me home. So it was fun to see it through Carter's eyes after years of going from one big city to the next. I'm pretty sure Ridley is my spirit animal. She's wicked smart and not quick to trust. Though loyal to no end and doesn't let being in a wheel chair slow her down at all. In fact all the young characters were strong in their own way that a lot of kids could easily relate to.

It's a book I could see being read aloud at night before bedtime, be read under a blanket fort, or anywhere really. For me it was easy to hear Neil Patrick Harris reading it after years of watching him on TV.

The story was solid and easy to get sucked into. In fact this was suppose to be my bus books, but let's be honest...that didn't happen. I'd start it on the bus, read it on break, and then read it between whatever I had to do at the house. Despite knowing it had to happy a ending. I couldn't wait to see how it all tied together. How the Magic Misfits defeat the bad guy and if Carter was staying in Mineral Wells.

For the best part was the small interludes where kids can learn magic tricks. A break from the story to teach the readers that they could do the tricks they'd just seen the characters themselves do. It's definitely a book I'll passing on to some of the younger readers in my life.

Buy, Borrow, or Skip: For the kid in your life, or just in heart, I say buy. It's a fun, and quick, read that will make you smile.

HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment