Friday, May 24, 2019

Ungovernable - Review


Author: Therese Oneill
Genre: Nonfiction
Format: Hardback
Pages: 288


This was the second book by Therese Oneill, and Ungovernable did not disappoint.

Ungovernable is my favorite kind of Nonfiction book. Where you learn something you never knew, but in a ridiculous sort of way. It takes something that could be so clinical and dull, and cranks up the sass.

I have been waiting for what feels like forever for this book. Last year I stumpled across Therese Oneill's book Unmentionables, and devoured it on my patio. So to find out she was writing another Victorian Era book, but this time on child rearing, I was very much on board.

I showed up the day my library said it was in and snatched it right off the "New Release" shelf. Then promptly finished my other books and set out a day to start next book, then read way past my bed time.

Hands down my favorite part of this book is its format. It isn't just Therese Oneil telling us about raising children during the 19th Century. It's a question and answer session with a mother who wants to raise her kids the "Victorian Way". So there is a late of back and forth, a lot of reaction to the scenarios being presented.

For me it has to stop the information overload. It also helps the book move along to subject to subject.

I also really enjoy the captions under the photos. I may read ahead to the captions because they the best!

It's a bit of hard book to read in public because there was a lot of laughing out loud, and I'm sure I pulled some great faces at certain parts. There's also the lovely ladies who read over your shoulder on the bus. Sure hope they got the pages about penises or assmilk. Nothing would give me greater pleasure.

Ungovernable is also very well researched. Not just brcuase of theboages and pages of references in the back of the book. But, just how well the book flows. Therese Oneill knew what she was talking about, presented it well, and left me one burning question.

How did our grandparents survive?

It seems like literally everything was against them. It also did nothing but give me more reasons to not have children now, or then, or ever. I do have more respect for the women of the 19th Century though. So much respect...

My only down side was honestly how fast I read this book. Cause now I'm left with a bit of book hangover despite an awesome TBR looming over me. But, I'm excited to see where Therese Oneill goes next.

Buy, Borrow, or Skip: Anything that gets this book in your hands. I went the library route because I'm being "Cheap Sally" these days. My dad's words, not my own. But, I would love to both of Therese's books on my shelves. Cover-to-cover they are brilliant.

HAPPY READING!!




No comments:

Post a Comment