Saturday, March 13, 2021

Mini Reviews


I really liked this! Kim Newman is one of my favorite authors and he didn't disappoint here. The story is very in the vein of Cthulu, but with eels. I stumbled a bit at the beginning. Like all of the other volumes, this one had some editing issues: conversations getting cut off at where the pages bound together, missing words from thought and speech bubbles, etc. After the first issue, and getting a grasp of the story, I flew through this. For the most part, I really liked the artwork, and the coloring, it really fit the story being told. My only issue a couple of the male side characters (the two important ones) looked so much like that I kept getting them confused. But, all-in-all I really liked this and I'm excited about the next issue!

A solid second volume to this series, that starts off just a few days after the end of the first volume. I will admit that enough time had passed that I was fuzzy on some of the details. Tynion does a great job of refreshing your memory without pulling from the plot. Most of the reminds came as backtalk and sass, so I wasn't bad at it. I thought the story progressed well quickly, and it was nice to get a bit of background on Erica and her creepy little stuffed friend. I'd also forgotten how much I loved the artwork in this. It's definitely a dark series, but the use of purples keeps it from being hard to see or read. The only real complaint, I had about the entire volume is the page set up. Some pages are set up so the panels read through both pages, others are split so read partly on the first then through to the second, others are done more traditionally with one page then the next. It makes it hard to read when you get used to one way, then the next two pages are different. I definitely had to backtrack a couple of times because I couldn't follow the flow of the conversation. But, a solid addition to the story and I'm excited for June to see where the story goes in the third volume!


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment