Friday, March 5, 2021

The Unkindness of Ravens - Review

Author: M.E. Hilliard
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Format: Ebook
Pages: 363
Huge thank you to Netgalley & Crooked Lane Books for an early edition of this book for my honest review!

It's been a while since I've picked up a cozy mystery so The Unkindness of Ravens called to me in a lot of ways: creepy manor, girl detective, and a murder. Three of my favorite boxes checked, and a brand new author who is also a librarian. So I had high hopes for this book and was very excited when I was approved for an early copy.

And this book didn't disappoint. It is everything that you love about a cozy murder mystery. The plot moved very quickly, and it was a book I wanted to pick up every chance that I got.  It was also really hard to put down because every time I got to a point where I thought to put this down and do other life things, another curveball was thrown my way. Another piece of evidence. A new suspect. Something to keep me glued to my screen.

I loved Greer as the main character as well. We meet after she's pivoted her life around after the loss of her husband, and it's that loss that drives her to be the girl's detective when she finds the body of a murder victim in her library. My favorite thing about Greer is she knows what she's doing is dangerous, and does everything she can to make sure anyone helping her solve this murder is safe. But, she also does her best to protect herself. It's not always the best, but at least she's aware of the danger. She's also brilliant, backups all her data, does her research, and shares her information with the police.

My pet peeve with these is always when the character playing detective doesn't include the actual detectives. Greer isn't like that. She shares her information as she goes, never showing her full hand, but never excluding them either. This plays one of her favor in the last few chapters.

The small-town aspect of this story was the perfect setting. In a town where everyone knows everyone, but the secrets run a mile long, is always a favorite of mine. The difference for me was just how much the town seemed willing to help Greer solve this murder. Add on the fact the library is placed in a creepy old manor house, all of this worked in the story's favor. The small-town vibes left you wondering who was hiding what, and maybe the manor was really haunted. Could it have been a ghost? It all kind of put the cozy in a cozy murder mystery.

I also loved all the book references from some of Agatha Christie's detectives to the great detective himself, Sherlock Holmes. Not just quotes, but small references and nods to the characters and stories. I loved those so much because I was raised on those stories. From Great Grandmother to my Ma, I come by my love murder mysteries legitly. So I thought each little Easter Egg as they were a lot of fun, and since Greer is a librarian it made sense that she'd references these moments. 

Lastly, I thought the lead-up to the mystery itself was solid and well thought out. I was following along with each clue that Greer found, making my own murder board in my head as the story went on. About halfway through I had a pretty good idea where the story was headed, and the closer to the end I got the more I knew I was right on the track. I also thought the ending was very fitting and the conclusion was satisfying. All of the loose ends were tied up, and it's always nice to know also were blaming the characters.

So, why only four stars instead of five? My only complaint about this book was there were a lot of Harry Potter references in this book. The first one that pops is while Greer is talking to a child so I forgave it. But, after that Greer makes several throughout the book, and they were easily avoided with other literary references. But, other than that this is a great book, and I'm interested in the next books in the series. I think I know where Hilliard is going to take it and they have my attention.

The Unkindness of Ravens hits shelves April 13, 2021!



HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment