Friday, September 8, 2023

101 Horror Books to Read Before You're Murdered- Review


Author: Sadie "Mother Horror" Hartmann
Genre: Horror / Nonfiction
Format: Paperback
Pages: 168



I can't imagine anything I say will do this book justice, but I'm going to have a go out it nonetheless. 

This a book for every level of horror reader. No matter how long you've been reading the genre, or what kind of horror you prefer. If you read horror to any extent you need to pick up Sadie Hartmann's book.

She's broken the genre down into sub-genres. This is absolutely genius because while I personally kind of dip my toe in kind of every sub-genre, I definitely have some that aren't my favorites. These I'd like to read more of, and my absolute favorites. This also makes it easy to organize the fact that you are being introduced to 101 new books, and maybe a handful of authors.

It keeps you from feeling like a ton of information is just chucked at you from the other side.

What also helps with this is just the tone Sadie Hartmann uses throughout the books. It really feels like you're just sitting with her talking about your favorite books. You can really tell these are books she holds dear to herself. Books that she wants to share with other horror fans.

There is just so much love and work that went into this collection, and you can really see it as you flip from page to page.  From the trigger warnings to the easy breakdown of each plot, and trying to avoid as many spoilers as possible. A couple of books I've been on the fence about are now sitting in my library queue because Hartmann convinced me to give them a chance.

This is also a low-stress book. There was never a point where I felt like I needed to read this book, or bad because I hadn't read a book. These were just honest opinions about books that Sadie Hartmann loves, and she thinks we might love them. I rarely bust out my book tabs, but my copy of this book is covered in notes and tabs. Mostly books I need to sit down to add to my Goodreads shelf, authors I need to read more of, books I also loved that Sadie loved, and a few books that I'm still not sure about. 

No matter how kind of horror you read, how often you pick it up, if you enjoy reading the spooky stuff, give Sadie Hartmann's book a flip through. There are so many good books in there, and some fantastic author spotlights as well. Grady Hendrix and Alma Katsu are two of my favorites that were featured. I have no doubt everyone will finish this collection with at least one new book added to their TBR.  



HAPPY READING!!


No comments:

Post a Comment