Saturday, March 12, 2022

Batman/The Shadow: The Murder of Geniuses - Review

Author: Scott Synder
Genre: Graphic Novel
Format: Hardback
Pages: 168

This was just okay. I wanted to like it more than I did, which bums me out a bit. Normally I love Scott Synder's stuff, and I was excited for a Batman and the Shadow mashup. For all their faults I've always had a love for the old detective stories. 

However, this was just okay, and maybe it's been so long since I've heard any of The Shadow episodes. But, I went into this thinking I knew what I was going to get myself into. Sadly I was let down a little and the use of The Shadow character. Honestly, I disliked him a lot and tried to block him out as much as possible. Everything else was what I expect for one of Synder's graphic novels.

As for the story itself, I always really like that the way Synder writes both Batman and Alfred. We got to see neet "bat gadgets", and I thought the storyline was solid. And, I'm always down for Joker to pop in to go toe-to-toe with Batman. I liked the idea of everything going back to Gotham's first murder, and a killer who hunts Gotham's 'best'. Because let's be honest the list of honest, good guys in Gotham is small.

Throughout the whole story, I wished the Shadow hadn't gotten involved. I got quickly got sick of him. He seemed more concerning with forcing this idea that he mentored Bruce. I didn't mind that he had this sort of black and white view of crime-fighting. But by the second monologue of 'you were my replacement'. Dude, suck it up, Bruce said no. Deal with it, bigger fish. 

Also, the whole circumventing the issue until it's too late. I hate it. If the Shadow would have checked his ego from the get to and explained things to Bruce, maybe we have gotten a different ending. But, here are an old man. Here we are. Though, I did enjoy those just desserts at the end for the Shadow. 

I liked the artwork that was done for this as well. It's a darker pallet with little pops colors with The Shadow and the Joker. Some of the panels have a lot going on, but the artwork flows so well it's easy to keep pace with the movement of everything. There were a lot of little details, especially with the Batsuit. 

Feel like the art was my favorite part about this, the story was secondary. And, honestly, I could have done with the Shadow just being any the start of this and just letting Bruce handle the rest as Batman. The Shadow didn't add anything to this story but annoyance. But, it still held a lot of what I love about Synder in this, it was a quick and fun read.


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment