Tuesday, March 8, 2022

For Your Own Good - Review

Author: Samantha Downing
Genre: Murder Mystery
Format: ebook
Pages: 373

This book! This book?! What was this book?! Seriously, I know what I read but this book was not at all what I thought it would be. I can't lie, I was completely ready to DNF this book. Because while the cover drew me, I wasn't a hundred percent sold. Thankfully there isn't any exploration date on when you can read a book, and a huge thank you to my book club for this pick. Because this book was a ride.

Samantha Downing's writing was the first thing that pulled me into this book. It was so easy to read and fall into this story. I was hooked from the first page, the first chapter, the first introduction to Teddy. Even when I was completely sure that he killed his wife. It felt like Downing had a great time writing this book and telling this story even if some of the characters are horrid. Because it was fun to read, even with all the twists and turns. 

Never once did I get lost in those twists and turns either. It was like as soon as I thought I had a grasp on what was going on, Downing was like 'nope try again' and threw in another element. Just when you think this story can't get any crazier, you find you wrong. Because it can get crazier and everything can escalate.

Me trying to explain this story to people made me sound like a crazy person. A couple of times I had to put the book down because I needed to process what happened. So much happens in the second part of this book, that I had to take a breath before part three.

Despite how there was always another twist, always another story, I had a hard time putting this book down. Even when I only had an hour to read. Even I just read five pages, I picked this up. It's all because Downing's writing style hooked me. These characters hooked me in, and I just had to know how far will Teddy go.

The cast of characters is amazing, and I loved that most of this story is told from the teacher's point of view. It's not a normal point of view for boarding school books, but with these teachers it was perfect. Teddy is the worst, but I loved watching his ego play out. And, Fallon, I hated her from the second she showed up for all the right reasons. The way Downing rights is perfect and it's so easy to hate her.

I will say I didn't see the ending coming! At the start of Part Three, I thought I had it all figured out. I knew how I wanted the books to end. However, I wasn't disappointed that I was wrong. It honestly didn't dawn on me that, that ending was an option. It was heartbreaking because I did feel bad for that character, but it was also kind of satisfying in a way. I also really liked Zach's end as well. The little parallel made me happy. 

So I'm glad I gave this one a go because I will be picking up more books by this author. I enjoyed For Your Good, and have been recommending it to everyone lately. The only negative I have about this was I wish Teddy's wife would have gotten a few chapters. It would have been interesting to see her point of view as some of these pieces unfolded. 


HAPPY READING!!


No comments:

Post a Comment