Monday, April 4, 2022

Undiscovered Country Volume 2 - Review

Author: Scott Synder and Charles Soule
Genre: Graphic Novel
Format: Paperback
Pages: 144


The second volume of Undiscovered Country is a little less of an information dump than the first volume. This volume pulled me further into the plot and it answered a few questions that I had after the first book, but it also left me with more. This series is weird because, on one hand, I like the plot and the storyline has my attention. I want to see what these factions in America are like. I want to know how the country fell into this and what's up with the weird wobble in time. Also, what the hell is up with Sam, and I'm dying to know who the Destiny Man is. 

Though I have my suspicions about the last one, I hope I'm wrong. 

On the other hand, I dislike most of the cast of characters in this. The siblings are on my last nerve. Like I get it, they are the "chosen ones" of this story, so their important, and searching for this bigger truth. But, at the same time, neither of them seems to be able to let go and learn anything. The brother is keeping secrets and the sister is a know-it-all, who seems to know nothing. I've not learned anyone's name except for Ace the historian of the trip. He's the only character I jive with, though in this last volume the journalist and her little drone aren't that bad. 

They seem to be the only two characters trying to figure out what's going on, and what's happened to them. Everyone else is in this for themselves something that nearly got them all killed in this book because no one seems to be paying attention.

As bad as Destiny was, Unity was probably worse. While it was shiny and technology forward on the outside, it was also very cold. And, at the end of the day weren't as forward-thinking as they wanted to be. The concept for Unity was very cool, and I love how they tied back into the timeline so we're still learning about what led off to America being sealed. That all weaved together quite well with the journal entries at the end/beginning of every new chapter.
While I doubt I'll ever really enjoy any of the characters outside of Ace, the plot has my attention. I for sure want to see what the rest of these factions look like and what's going to happen when they finish walking the path. What are they going to find at the end of it? I doubt it's a happy ending. 

Still, the storyline is interesting, and I just picked up volume three from the library. 


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment