Saturday, April 9, 2022

Come Closer - Review

Author: Sara Gran
Genre: Novella / Horror
Format: Paperback
Pages: 168

I snagged this book up from the library a few weeks ago when the cover caught my eye, and the plot sounded interesting. Possession horror isn't something I read a lot of, so I added it to my pile. Jumping into this I wasn't really sure what I was expecting. Everyone comes at the idea of being possessed on their own, but Come Closer did it in a way I've never seen before. This was almost like a slow burn possession told from Amanda's, our main character, point of view after everything has happened.

So from the start you know Amanda is possessed. From the outside, Amanda and her husband Ed have the picture-perfect life: good jobs, a cute house, and they truly love each other. But, there are cracks that our demon slips through to get Amanda what it wants.

What I really liked about Come Closer was how not scary it was. Because you already know it's going too bad, we already know she's been possessed. What got me about this book was how rational it was. How easy all the little things that were happening were to write off as stress, sickness, or just bad luck. Our minds quickly go to the simplest answers because we think we know ourselves, and we trust certain kinds of people to help us.

The other thing that sort of pushed me off-kilter was after I finished reading it I really only had one question. Was she really possessed? I don't know deny that Amanda did all these things, but was it really because of a demon. One she's kind of been since she was a little girl, or was it something else. Was it a mental illness? Could Ed, Amanda's coworkers, her doctor any of these people have done more? Could these so-called spiritual healers have done more?

While this book didn't scare me, it definitely had my attention. I devoured it one night, not wanting to put it down. I wanted to know what happened to Amanda. How far she would go before the demon had complete control? Did she manage to beat it? 

Come Closer is written beautifully in a tragic and sad sort of way. It definitely screwed with my head and kept me turning the pages. I'm glad I pulled this one off the library shelf on a whim, and I'll definitely pick up another of Sara Gran's books.




HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment