Thursday, October 12, 2023

Chilling with Ghosts - Review

Author: Insha Fitzpatrick
Genre:  Middle Grade
Format: Paperback
Pages: 128

Insha Fitzpatrick is an auto-buy author after I discovered her last year with Hanging with Vampires. After finishing that book, all I wanted was another Field Guide. So when Quirk Books announced Chilling with Ghost I may have slightly lost my mind, and ran straight to the bookstore after work to buy it! Because I wanted it to be the first book I read this Spooky Season. An achievement that I managed! The first book of the season was done, and it was exactly what I wanted. 

I adore this series with everything I am. It gives me such Hitchhiker Guide vibes, and the tone the narrator uses is so cozy. And, you can just feel how excited the narrator is to tell you all these things about ghosts and the history of ghosts. This will hands down be the most wholesome book I will read this year. I feel like Fitzpatrick had so much fun writing this because I had a lot of fun reading it. 

A ton of research went into this book from digging up some of the early ghost stories, to the books they inspired, to the movies and TV shows some of us hold dear. I feel like Insha covered so many different facets of the ghost story because even I learned something new. And, do love a good haunted story full of ghosts. At the same time, I feel like Insha understood the age group she was writing for, and it's perfect for the young reader who is starting to enjoy the spookier books! 

Or, the one who just likes ghost stories.

The best part is you don't have to read the first book in the series to read this one. So if vampires aren't your thing, that's perfectly fine. You can jump into this with both feet and not miss a single thing. Because Chilling with Ghosts is just as adorable, hilarious, and fun-filled as the first book. Though, if vampires are your thing, don't pass up Hanging with Vampires as well. 

I can't wrap this up without talking about the artwork on the inside of Chilling with Ghosts. It's so adorable! They are such a fun and color addition to the book, the one with Insha and Shakespeare was probably not only my favorite bit of artwork but my favorite bit of the book. Also, the end pages with the little ghosts, are too cute. 

Seriously, I could fangirl over this book for pages on pages. From the research, the pop culture reference, and the personal ghost stories. This was so much fun, and I would love another book in this series! Several more books covering all creatures and spooks that Insha Fitzpatrick wants to write about, I'd read it. Without a second thought!




HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment