Friday, October 27, 2023

Mini Reviews


It's funny the things we remember from childhood. While I worked my way through most of the original Goosebumps series. This is the one that I remember the most, that I can remember where I was when I was reading, and how freaked out I was while reading. However, I couldn't remember anything about the book besides the ghost looking for his head. I had completely forgotten that this was based inside Hill House. Mostly because when I read this back then, I wouldn't have known the reference to Hill House. Knowing it now that was a lot of fun because the house itself, and the way the kids lot made more sense. Hill House is a living thing that is never the same twice. So I loved that the house exists in the Goosebumps Universe. The Headless Ghost definitely didn't scare me this time around, but it was still a lot of fun to revisit this story.


I'm so glad I stumbled onto the Bloodlands series by Harold Schechter. Firstly because I really enjoy the way he writes true crime, I just find his books so easy to read. Secondly, these are great ways to jump into these tales of true crime. I'd never heard of Albert Hicks before picking up The Pirate, but in sixty-seven pages I know who is now. I will say I didn't realize exactly what Hicks had done exactly, so I was a little shocked in the first chapter when you find out in great detail just how he killed three people. It was unexpected and gross, and I'm glad I had my headphones in while I was putting away the dry order at work. That being said it was an informative, quick, and easy read about the last act of violence Albert Hicks ever committed. It also had a little bit of history woven in. I enjoyed this read, and I'm looking forward to others in the series.



I found this little gem at my library while browsing the shelves. I've never heard of the author/illustrated before, but the idea of this book grabbed my attention. Lately, I've been adding a lot of found footage to my TBR, and this is a little bit in that vein. In the sense that is told through sketches and journal entries of a swordsman who has come upon this city, of the likes he's never seen, without his memories. So all of these entries about the city and him trying to remember who exactly he is, with a little bit of romance sprinkled in. I like this, it's definitely weird, but it was an interesting read. I like that see the city and its people through this swordsman's eye. Along with his journey to maybe getting his eyesight back. It's different, the illustrations are hands down my favorite bit of this book. I definitely want to pick up other works by Jeffery Alan Love, and I would definitely pick up other books that he's illustrated. But, just so very weird. Which was totally not a bad thing, I liked that it was weird. But, also I love how he managed to create what felt like a full story with so very little. It was quite lovely.



HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment