Saturday, October 21, 2023

The Skull - Review

Author: Jon Klassen
Genre: Middle Grade
Format: Hardback
Pages: 112

My go-to book for baby showers is This is Not My Hat. It's such a fun book with really adorable illustrations, and now there is a whole series about this bear and their hat. So when my friend came home with this book after her vacation, I had to borrow it.

I had no idea that Jon Klassen had another book out. Let alone one with spooky vibes. And, I have to agree with so many reviewers. While I did enjoy this story and the illustration. The best part was the author's not about how Klassen came across this story, and the sort of magic that is embedded in folktales. 

Personally, I thought it added to the magic of the book. But at the same time, I'd love to read the original story that inspired, The Skull.

As for this book, I thought it was so cute, and everything I love about Klassen's stories. The story itself isn't too scary and I love our brave main character. Despite how scary the moment was, she was determined to save her new friend.

It's wholesome and fun, and a little bit creepy. But, like my levels of creepy.

The illustrations were amazing, I love the pastel palette that Klassen works with. Colors you'd see in a watercolor almost. Not muted, but not bright either. Solid colors lend to the background of the story, giving life to the characters and moments.

It all works together really well in a great spooky read that really enjoyed. The perfect little addition to my Spooky Season reads, and a book I will most likely be adding to my niece's library in the future.


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment