Monday, October 30, 2023

The Closet - Reviews

Author: James Tynion IV
Genre: Horror / Graphic Novel
Format: Paperback
Pages: 104

Ever bought so many books that occasionally you forget you bought something? No, just me. Cool, cool, cool. So that's what happened with The Closet by James Tynion IV. I was digging through one of my shelves for something else and stumbled across a couple of graphic novels I forgot I owned. The upside is they're both pretty spooky. So it was the perfect little surprise for October! Even better was the fact I adore James Tynion's writing, so I knew I was in for a treat.

This story follows Jamie and the monster in his closet. Right from the start you know things aren't great at home for Jamie. Anytime a family is moving across the country for a 'fresh start' that's a red flag. A warranted red flag for The Closet. Because the parents are trying to work past the fact the father cheated.

I am shocked. 

Though this fresh start isn't just for them, but for Jaime who is becoming more and more scared of the monster in his closet. A monster they hope they're about to leave behind. 

All of this is told through the father's perspective. Which is disjointed, full of self-loathing, and him trying to somehow take responsibility for his screw-up and be the victim. Long story, short, he's very much the worst and I hated him. Which is fine because the way he's written I feel like that's the point. 

Because despite this trip he's with his son supposedly being about them. He seems to find a way to ruin and ignore his son the whole way.

This whole thing is heartbreaking from start to finish, with a cliffhanger of an ending. We never really find what the creepy, little, big-headed thing, is that is stalking Jamie. Though we're given a few options. Maybe it's night terrors from the trauma his parents have put him through, via their fighting. 

Though, I doubt it. There were a couple of things sprinkled in here and there that were odd. Like what happened to Jamie's luggage?

I'm a little bummed it looks like there are not any more issues to come with The Closet. I'd have loved for this to be a two-volume, six-issue, series. I was left with so many questions, no answer, and a need to triple just my closet was closed after finishing this. 

While I know that Tynion is working on other series, ones I'm also obsessed with, I will be keeping an eye out for any more issues of The Closet



HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment