Tuesday, August 17, 2021

It's Your Funeral! - Review

Author: Kathy Benjamin
Genre: Nonfiction
Format: Hardback
Pages: 176
Huge thanks to Quirk Books for an early advance copy for my honest review!

First of all, let's talk about this cover because nothing sums up this book better than this book. It's bright and fun, but at the same time has a pretty serious topic to discuss. I love books on death and funeral rites from all over the world and times. So I was really excited to crack into this one and see what I would find since a lot of this is about planning a future funeral. I have to say I wasn't sure what I was going to find between these pages, but I wasn't disappointed.

Next, let's get something out of the way. This book was fun! Yes, I know this book wants you to think about your own death, and what will happen after. A topic most people would rather avoid, but this book does it in a way that doesn't take itself too seriously. Kathy Benjamin gives you a wide variety of ways to pass one. Some are more attainable than others. But I mean you should always keep your options open, even in death.

I think my favorite part about this book is the work pages that pop up throughout the book. They are a good way to get your thoughts down on paper, explore your options, make lists, and start thinking about everything. Those pages and the information in between are both a great tool to think about what you want, what will help your family and friends with the aftermath, and make things as smooth as possible.

Even I started filling some of the pages out at the beginning of the book. Though, as the book went on I did find it harder and harder to feel out the pages. How did I want to split up my personal belongings? Where I would be living at the time? Those pages raised other questions, and while I'm nowhere no worried about making my mind up now. It did put a few things in my mind that I hadn't thought about.

But, like a said before this book doesn't think too much of itself. Kathy Benjamin comes out with the topic of your death, of everyone's death, with a little bit of humor. There's a bit of tongue and cheek, a bit of sass, and a lot of the outrageous things people have done after they've (or loved ones) have passed. And, not all of these people are famous. Some are just regular people who wanted to make an impression even after death.

So whether your like me and like books that are macabre and unusual, or you just want to see what your options are after death. I suggest Kath Benjamin's It's Your Funeral! It's officially on shelves today!


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment