Saturday, June 10, 2023

Squire & Knight - Review

Author: Scott Chantler
Genre: Graphic Novel / Fantasy
Format: Hardback
Pages: 176

Honestly, this book had me at dragon and skeleton dog.  Everything else about Squire & Knight was just a bonus. I liked that it had a Dungeons and Dragons vibe to it as well. Not all of the characters were humans living in their village. There was a wide variety of creatures and it was just considered normal.

Let's start with the color pallet on this one. It's very fall in pastels inspired by the light oranges and brown. which I love. It means nothing gets too dark or too bright, and the dragon and the Squires close all stick out. So you constantly know where they are, which is the point. It's also a nice pull away from some of the other fantasy graphic novels I've been reading with heavier palettes. This color choice is great. It made all sorts of details stand out, as well as allowed the use of color to help tell the story. 

The story is a lot of fun. I love this trope of a bumbling Knight whose Squire does all the work. For the longest time I thought I had this story figured out because of all the importance they put on one specific part of this story, and while it was important. It wasn't important for the reason that I thought it was. In fact, it never dawned on me that the story could go that way. So I was pleasantly surprised about two-thirds of the way through the story when we find out what exactly is happening in this town.

Also double bonus points for a talking dragon, with extra points for the sass they delivered. Though I kind of want to deduct a point because the Knight didn't get eaten. Sadly this is a book for younger readers, so we have a happy ending.

Which was great. Everything was tied up nicely, the town was rebuilding, and the Knight and his Squire were off on another adventure. Though, I kind of hope that this one stays a stand-alone. While we could join these two characters on the other quests, I realize it would be the same formula over and over again. Which is great for young readers, but I don't know if I'd jump back into this universe. However, I would pick up other books by Scott Chantler. 

I really did enjoy my time with Squire & Knight. It was a lot of fun, a quick read, and just beautifully drawn. So if you looking for a quick and fun fantasy read, I recommend giving this one a look. It's pretty cute!




HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment