Friday, June 23, 2023

Three Sisters in Black - Review


Author: Norman Zierold
Genre: True Crime
Format: Kindle Book
Pages: 218

Okay, so this book. Let me start off by saying that it was originally written in 1968 so there is a big chunk of the dialog itself that hasn't aged well, and probably should have been updated when the book was republished. So, if this is sitting on your TBR still, just know that before you go in because I didn't realize this book was older, until I was already a few pages in, and was like uhm, what the hell..

Now, this case gets a ten out of ten of what the actual hell is this. The word bizarre doesn't begin to describe this case. Because I read this book and even I don't know exactly what happened to Ocey. Did she kill herself? Did her Aunts and Mother do it? I don't know. Maybe, both, this family is nuts, and I mean built for TV drama kind of crazy. First of all the full mourning clothes for absolutely no reason. The fact they sort of follow the eldest sister even though I'm pretty sure she wasn't sane from the word go. Then there was the whole about the missing husband who wasn't missing, but hiding from something so small and ridiculous it had to be a lie. 

The just weird nature of this case is what keeps you reading this book because the book itself is so dry and clinical. Certain parts actually put me to sleep, and there were times when I felt like I was reading in a circle. Though I chalked that up to the fact it was originally written in 1968, so the lack of flair makes sense. Then again, there didn't need to be much flair considering just how bananas this case is.

Hundred percent I feel for this family because for a solid decade, it was nothing but bad luck, and maybe these women were left in the wind in a time when there were so few ways for women to take care of each other. This means with a slight grasp on reality flipped a switch into survival mode, and that caused Ocey's death. Then again, maybe the sisters were always a little sideways, and medical science was so far behind that there was never a way to save any of them.

Either way, this book is a mix of weird, bizarre, and downright sad. The book itself is a little dry and drags in places. The author does a really good job of beating a point across. Like with a big stick, and the legal charging through me for a loop in places, because it's pulled verbatim from the case instead of summed up. And, I definitely had to put this book down a dozen times, but it's a great before-bed book. Since I was ready for a nap after about three chapters. 

Still, this case is worth a look. It's so weird and just out there. How Lifetime, Hulu, or Netflix haven't picked this case up, blows my mind.



HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment