Friday, June 30, 2023

Penguin Gentlemen - Review

 

Author: Kishi Ueno
Genre: Manga
Format: Hardback
Pages: 160

Okay, so Penguin Gentlemen was the first-ever Manga. I've always been hesitant to read them because I was worried I wouldn't be able to read them. Growing up in Western culture and learning to read one, on top of my sometimes having trouble learning new things. It was all a combination of things I just avoided. Well, this popped up on my library dash as something I might enjoy, and knowing fully that it was Manga I put it on hold anyway. Because of penguins! PENGUINS!

Best decision I've made in my reading choices in two months. Did this take me a couple of pages to figure out to read it? Yes, it was a whole new world, but I figured out it just a handful of pages in. Was it as cute as I thought it was going to be? No, it was hands down way more adorable than I thought.

Also, it was nothing that I thought it was going to be. I thought this was going to be a cute little story about penguins in a bar like the penguins in Marry Poppins. This was nothing like it, but so much better. And after watching, and falling in love with the series Choco Milk Shake (if you know, you know) I should have known better. This is the story of penguins turning humans to run a bar! I would go to this bar. I would have many questions, but I would go to this bar.

It's also a book filled with amazing penguins facts. Like it's a whole adorable Manga that teaches you facts about six different kinds of penguins. All of us are now living in the human world as humans. It teaches about where they live, what their genius means, how they mate, and even how they raise their young. I was not expecting to learn so many things when I cracked this one open but was pleasantly surprised by how jammed-packed with information it was. 

My favorite part? So glad you asked. That would be the little footnotes at the bottom of the odd-numbered pages. These are just a few fun pieces the different characters would add after each little subchapter. Usually full of sass and sarcasm. But at the end of the day, this was absolutely adorable, and I'm so glad I picked it up. 

So if you're looking for something cute to read this summer, looking to finally get that push to pick up your first Manga, or just adore penguins as much as do. Then snag this one up. I'll be pushing it on everyone this summer!


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment