Saturday, November 21, 2020

Lightfall: The Girl & the Galdurian - Review

Author: Tim Probert
Genre: Middle Grade / Graphic Novel
Format: Hardback
Pages: 256
I've seen Lightfall on a lot of blogs recently and I finally snagged it from my local library. And, I'm glad that I did. It's absolutely precious and kind of gave me a bit of Dark Crystal vibes here and there. Very thankful that I didn't pass this one over because there was so much to love.

Let's start with both our main characters, Bea and Cad, are easy to root for. I love how brave and ready for adventure anything Cad is at every turn, and there is no quest too small for him. I also really liked how honest he was, and how never invalidated Bea when she got too scared. And, Beu, our tiny little ball of anxiety. I really liked the way Tim Prober drew attention to anxiety in the art so you could see how the feelings affected her, but at the same time, you saw her deal with each bit of panic as it came. Every time that fears paralyzed her she worked through it. Plus, she comes with a cat sidekick so I already knew I was going to adore her. Even if Nimm is mostly useless.

Next, the friendship between Bea and Cad's friendship was aces. It was wonderful to watch the two of them become best friends as the story unfolded. I really liked that they didn't always see eye-to-eye, but they always managed to work it out by talking. I think it's a great piece of the story for younger readers to see. They also complete each other in that epic fantasy character way that makes everything work out in the end. Which, for a middle-grade read is something I love to see. 

The story itself is fun and full of adventure with near misses and amazing creatures. This is one of those stories where you just fall into and get completely caught up in the story. Before I knew it I was halfway through the book and my legs were falling asleep from sitting in one position too long. I love that about any book but love it a little more when I'm reading middle-grade fantasy. I wasn't ready for this book to end, but I'm excited to see what in the next volume.

I do want to give a quick shout out to the side characters in this book, I thought they each brought something fun to the table, and help sort of sell this for me as an epic quest adventure. Some characters brought side quests, some trouble, and one even throws down a half-way prophecy. 

Lastly, the artwork. Not only did Tim Probert write this story but he did all the art for it as well, and I'm so glad he did. Irpa is a unique world where the sun has gone out and the Galdurian people created magic lights to light the world and push back the night. Tim Probert's artwork gives us a wonderful look at Irpa and the people, and creatures, that inhabit it. For me it gave the story more depth because the art is vibrant and fun until we get to the Tikarri, then the colors change to match the darkness they bring with them. Each page was a beautiful addition to the story and was one of the reasons it's so easy to fall into this story.

I'm glad I gave this book a chance, and I'm excited to see what happens next. Considering who beautiful the artwork, and the story, are I definitely will be adding this to my permanent collection.


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment