Thursday, November 19, 2020

The Beast and The Bethany - Review

Author: Jack Meggit-Philips
Genre: Middle Grade
Format: ARC
Pages: 240
I received a digital copy from Netgalley for an honest review.


This was adorable and a lot of fun to ready. The Beast and the Bethany is marketed as Lemony Snicket meets Roald Dahl, but I'd even throw in a dash of Portrait of Dorian Gray as well.  This book was everything I needed right now: fun, ridiculous,silly, and full of little easter eggs of other fun Middle Grade books.

From page one Jack Meggitt-Phillips let's you know that our main characters aren't the heroes of this story. In fact, both Ebenezer and Bethany are morally grey characters. Which in any story setting are normally my favorite. While I didn't so much enjoy either Ebenezer or Bethany they worked well within the story to go up against the Beast, the real villain of this story. 

I also really enjoyed all the side characters that popped in and out. The owner of the bird shop was probably my favorite, and no one was happier about what happened to Miss Fizzlewick than myself. With the side characters you're able to see the growth that Ebenzer and Bethany make throughout the story as they react, and interact, with these characters.

Speaking of the bird shop, that was some of my favorite parts being introduced some of the crazy animals that Jack Meggit-Phillips introduced. Followed by how he sort of meshed the timeline together so it's kind of a modern world that kids recognize, but also there was this sort of older feel with the mention of the Sweet's Shop and the Outdoor Market.

Another positive for me was just how over the top this book was. It wasn't just a little exaggerated, it is absolutely ridiculous, but in a way that is fun and hilarious. Each crazy moments adds a fun element to the story to keep readers of all ages hooked. It took everything I love about Roald Dahl and gave it an Edward Gorey spin.

And, I love a Middle Grade book with artwork. I thought the pieces that were included were great, it gives a good idea of what the characters look like, and adds a bit of whimsy to the story as well. 

Lastly, the ending, it felt very fitting and I was glad it was kind of a happy ending where Bethany and the Beast are concerned, almost like there is another story there. I also really enjoyed the fourth wall break at the very end.

My only sort of warning is this on the macab side and there is a pretty heavy theme of death. I kid this is definitely a book I would have loved and read again and again. Even as an adult I really enjoyed it and the escape from the world it allowed. So I'm huge thank you again to Netgalley and Simon and Schuster for a chance to read this a few weeks early!

The Beast and The Bethany is set to be released on December 8th, 2020!

HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment