Saturday, February 5, 2022

Our Lady of Mysterious Ailments - Review

Author: T.L Huchu
Genre: Young Adult
Format: eBook
Pages: 370
First, a huge thank you to NetGalley and Tor Books for an early copy of this book for my honest review!

Second, the cover, the title, and the synopsis were enough for me to hit the request button that I didn't do any more research. I was a solid hundred pages in when telling my roommate about the book, realizing that this was the second book in the Edinburgh Night series, and I haven't read The Library of the Dead yet. However, the great thing about this book is I didn't need to read it. T.L Huchu includes an index of characters and places at the start of the book, and I didn't feel lost on the magic side of things, or world-building since this series takes place in an alternate Edinburgh.

The author also didn't spoil the first book, so I still don't know what happened, which I'm grateful for because I liked the second book, and would love to jump into the first book. I missed a lot of the introduction to Ropa's heritage and I'd love to dive into that part of her story.

I think my favorite thing about Our Lady of Mysterious Ailments is the magic. I'm a sucker for science-based magic, and I could read about Ropa nerding out theories behind this world's magic all day. I love the weave of science fiction into fantasy, and I adored how T.L Huchu weaved into this story. A little bit of science fact mixed with science fiction. Loved it!

The world-building in this was also first class in my opinion. Huchu takes a world a lot of people know and turns into a war zone. I liked seeing it from Ropa's point of view, and you get a real look at the Edinburgh of this reality.

And then there is our cast of characters. I would follow Ropa anywhere. You see the whole story through her first-person point of view, and honestly you forget how young she is. Ropa has had to grow very quickly to help keep her Grandmother and sister afloat during these hard times, and I too keep reminding myself that she wasn't an adult. She was a teenager, but she has just a strong narrative, and she has such a big heart. And, her sass! I adore her, and I think without her all-around demeanor this book would have fallen a little flat for me. There are so many things happening at once, build up to a bigger plot, and so much on Ropas plate, that having her narrator makes a lot of things a lot more visceral.

I'm also in love with Priya and Jomo, the latter I just want to wrap up on bubble wrap to keep him safe. He's too precious for this world! I also really like Ropa's Grandmother, there's a story there that was hinted out a few times through the book that I hope we get soon. Because I think her Grandmother is more badass than we know. Also, I'm not sure how much I trust Callander. While I don't think he's a bad guy, he's not a good one either. I also don't have enough space to talk about how much I dislike Cockburn. Like I get it things are changing and that's hard, but like give Ropa a freaking break you classist snob. If something could eat her in the future that would be a win for me.

All of the issues I had with this book were my own and not worth bringing up. I liked this book and I'm eager to get my hand on the first book to dive back into this world.

Our Lady of Mysterious Ailments is on shelves on March 8, 2022!


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment