Monday, February 7, 2022

She Kills Me - Review

Author: Jennifer Wright
Genre: Nonfiction
Format: e-book
Pages: 176
I liked this for what it was, a small collection of female killers throughout history. It's been sitting on my TBR for over a year and was sadly one of the ARCs that fell through the cracks. I saw it was available through my local library, and I needed a nonfiction book for my BINGO card! Wins all around.

I liked that Wright broke the book into sections: Psychos, Pretty Poisoners, Bad Family, etc. While the book is short enough to read in one sitting, I broke up the sections to one, or two, a day. It meant I could take my time with this book because I have a hard time reading nonfiction books even when the topic holds my interest. It also collects the stories into their categories so you know what kind of crime, or event, you read about. 

Normally when I read these there is always a handful of chapters that I skip. This was not one of these books. I only knew three of the women in this book, everyone else was a new name for me. And, since each section is so small about one, there is a handful I want to do my research about. So this was not an introduction to some badass women in history, but parts of history I hadn't known.

This is another thing I liked about this book, it wasn't just serial killers or traditional murders. Some of these women did what they thought was best for their country, for their people, or just to protect themselves. Women imagine history would like as all to forget.

Despite, each chapter being so small, it was clear Wright did a lot of research for this book. I also really liked that Wright cited everything at the end of each chapter. This way you can see where Wright got their information, but also pick those books up yourself for more information on these infamous women.

I also really liked the bit of sass that Wright added to each story. It was a reminder that most of these women were bad people, just people in bad circumstances. Stuck in a morally grey area of doing bad things for sort of decent reasons. Kind of. Maybe. That's for you to decide.

My biggest issue with She Kills Me is the illustrations at the start of each chapter. I understand that it's supposed to be an introduction to the women, a first look, but for me, it felt unneeded and a little child-like. I could have done with it out. But, all-in-all I enjoyed this read, glad I finally got around to it. If you are into true crime or forgotten women in history, I suggest grabbing this one from your local library. 

HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment