Thursday, February 24, 2022

Possums Are NOT Cute - Review

Author: Ally Burguieres
Genre: Nonfiction
Format: Hardback
Pages: 128

A huge thank you to Quirk Books and Ally Burguieres for allowing me to get an early copy of Possums Are NOT Cute! What follows is my honest review.

I was so excited when Quirk Books reached out to me about this book. Growing up in rural Kansas where there is always the risk of running into an opossum in the woodpile at my grandparents' place, or in the barn. This fact is important because I have heard a hundred times a lot of the misconceptions and myths surrounding opossums because of this. None of which have stopped me from thinking them adorable and wanting one as a pet. So I was all about getting my hands on this book.

The first thing I did when I got my copy was to flip through and look at the photos that were included of the possum ambassadors. I just love their weird little face so much. So I'm so very excited that there was page after page of adorable photos. Some of which I follow on Instagram because who doesn't love adorable animals popping up on their feeds.

But, the book itself is also really good. Ally Burguieres has not only filled this book with adorable possum photos and fun facts but also teaches about the lives of these adorable little creatures. So not only was it a fun read, but it was educational as well. Not just teaching about these little critters, but also how they affect the world around us. Teaching us why they are so important.

Never once did this book get boring though. Burguieres didn't just fill the pages with cold facts about possums and assume people would love them. Instead, she told a story about her journey into the world of possums and laid out the facts in a fun way. This book is written in a narrative that feels like you are being spoken to as a person, not just lectured out. This is something I really appreciated because sometimes nonfiction books, especially about animals and anatomy, can become dry.

One of the things I think that helped break up the facts is the fun little section about possums in history. It was a fun look at the random sort of celebrity roles possums have had throughout our history. An odd history at that. But, a fun way to break up the not-so-fun parts. I also think the fact that each section was kept so short, only a page or two, kept this book from feeling dry and boring. Also, being told in an easy way to understand, explaining things that got a little science-heavy with terms. You felt how much Burguieres wanted the readers to learn about these creatures, so she took the time to explain in a way everyone good understands.

Possums Are NOT Cute! is a hundred percent adorable and perfect for both possum lovers and animal lovers in general. It's a fun coffee table book that can spark conversation, and my copy now lives about the fireplace. The whole house has read it and loved it!

Possums Are NOT Cute! comes out May 10, 2022!


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment