Friday, October 28, 2022

National Frankenstein Friday


Okay, so I don't think is an official holiday, and I know that there is another Frankenstein day on August 30th for Mary Shelley's birthday. But, I love the idea of the last Friday of October being another day to celebrate the book, Frankenstein. My first time reading this book was back in elementary school. The library I spent my summers in had these abridged versions of the old classics. It's where I found my love for classics, but Frankenstein has always been one of my favorites. Probably because I've always had a love for the mad scientist sub-genre of science fiction. 


It wasn't until high school that I read the full version of Mary Shelley's famous book or learned anything about its author. A history that made me fall in love with the stories even more. I don't know how many times I've read the book, but as odd as it may sound, it's one of my comfort books. In fact, a friend of mine of the current copy I have after I trashed another paperback a few years ago, and I'm so in love with the cover and the binding. It's absolutely gorgeous. 



Flash forward to college and I finally got introduced to Boris Karloff's movie version of Frankenstein, and it's still my favorite adaptation of the book. However, however, the stage version with Benedict Cumberbatch and the other Sherlock Holmes was really good. And, of course, Frankenweenie can not go without a mention. That is a Spooky Season must-watch in my house.

So yeah, I've watched a lot of the good, and the very bad, adaptations of Frankenstein, and I'll continue to do so because honestly, all the classic monsters stories are my favorite. But there is something about watching Adam come to life and Shelley's writing that I've always loved. 

Also, as I'm writing this I realize I haven't read this book for a couple of years. I should probably do a re-read soon! But, drop me a comment and tell me your favorite Frankenstein movie, re-telling, or TV show!!

HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment