Friday, October 21, 2022

Young Adult Horror Favorites


Not another throwback favorites that absolutely no one asked for! That's right, another one. Because when I saw I love all things spooky, I mean it. Once I hit middle school I was spending summers with my Great Grandparents, helping them with this and that. And, they lived not far from the local library. It was then I discovered Christopher Pike books and the tie-in novels to Buffy the Vampire Slayter. I also read the few Fear Street books my library had.

I was also starting to watch scary movies for the first time. A lot of Wes Craven, who is still one of my favorite directors. Though I love those movies for a whole different reason now as an adult.

The same can be said about the Young Adult horror. Not just from the 90s either. Though, the old-school books hit a little different the one's published in the last few years. Though I love them both. 



I love how the Young Adult Horror as shifted through the years. Yes as an adult it's perfictable and occasionally way into the left field on what is probable. But that's what I like about it. There are spooky moments, jumps scares, but as a whole it's pretty time. It makes a nice change from some of the more intense books in Adult Horror. 



The old school 80's and 90's (I don't think  I've read anything older than the 80's), I enjoy for just how weird they get. Some have ages fairly well. Some have defintely not, but they always fun to read. Though some of the ones from the 90's get a little more graphic than Middle School me remembers. 

Though, my favorite Christopher Pike book (Die Softly) has a pretty intense ending. I'm not sure it would be allowed today in Young Adult. Either way, these books hold a special place for me, and I love that I get a chance to collect them as a adult. A way to sort of remember those summers with the Great Grandparetns.

HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment