Thursday, November 9, 2023

Holly Horror - Review

Author: Michelle Jabes Corpora
Genre: Horror / Young Adult
Format: Hardback
Pages: 320

Did the house just eat Desmond? Because it feels exactly like what just happened. Need help understanding? Then I'm going to kindly ask you to read this book. It's one of those stories that the longer I sit with it, the more I wonder if I want to give it more stars than three. There's nothing new in this book, Corpora uses classic horror and thriller tropes, but they are classics for a reason. And, she weaves them into this story so well. I liked our main character, I like Demond, that should be noted right off the bat. I'm not amused by this ending. Book Two, or now book two. 

Something about this book is lingering with me. Even after finishing two more books since reading this. The ending plays a big part of it. Maybe I can unpack it in this review.

Okay, so Holly House combines a haunted house story, a family secret, and a small town with so many secrets. And, maybe a demon, entity thing that attached to the mine. More, on that later. But like I said, Michelle Jabes Corpora weaves all those things into a wonderful fall story based on the East Coast. And, my heart hurt for the main character she created in Evie. I also really love it when authors create characters you just hate with every fiber of your being, which Corpora did with Evie's mother. A lot of this story could have been avoided if that woman had been around, listened to, or looked. I don't care how this book ended, she's terrible and I hope that house eats her next.

On the note of characters, I still don't fully trust the Sherrif's daughter in this, I've forgotten her name. But, still. I spent the whole book waiting for her to convince the school, or the town, or something that Evie was crazy. She gives off that kind of two-faced vibe. I don't like her. Desmond, however, I adore him. I adore that we meet him while he's bad at something despite being the town's golden boy. I like how he likes Evie and all of her quirks. It was adorable. And I will say it one more time, I'm mad that house ate him.

Speaking of the house. I have never read a book when there have been so many red flags about a house! There is a laundry list of reasons why no one should live in this house. Here are some of my favorites: your own cousin disappeared from inside the house, your psychic sister won't go inside the house, and it's built on top of a mine. Oh, and your cousin disappeared from inside the house! No, thank you! Not even a little bit. Full pass.

 I will say that I was a little annoyed as this story went on because it felt like there were these walls blocking us from learning about a piece of the house, and the town itself, history. We don't have out nearly enough about the Patchwork Girl, or that thing we saw in the mirror land, mine, place. I was frustrated with that until the very end when I realized what else happened the night of the big showdown and realized there was a whole other book coming out.

Yes, I'm still frustrated about the wait, and I'm gonna be more than annoyed if the house really did eat Desmond. But! But, I am excited for the second book to see what Holly found out about the other girl who went missing in the house.


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment