Friday, August 2, 2019

Rose Red - Review


Author: Joyce Reardon
Genre:  Horror
Format: Hardback
Pages: 252


Me finding this book in my favorite used bookstore in my hometown last month was fate. Because I had just a mental note to rent the mini series this book ties into, Rose Red, this October after finding out some of friends hadn't seen it. Though, to be fair I haven't seen it since it actually aired on ABC back in 2002. I do remember random pieces of the show though. Moment that made me jump and the few that actually freaked me out. So, I thought I knew what I was getting myself into with this.

I was wrong.

Okay, so this is the diary that Doctor Joyce Reardon finds that sort of validates everything she's heard about Rose Red. Which then leads into the mini series. So this story of the creation of the house, and that start of the strange activities in the house.

As a whole I did like this book. It was a quick read that flowed really well. Never once really pausing, or slowing down to the point I got bored. In fact I had to make a point to stop at certain points to do things like sleep and eat. Just like Rose Red the book just pulls you in with story of Ellen's life and what she endured.

However, Ellen isn't always my favorite character. For the most of the book I'm rooting for her as she grows. As she realizes what her life is and finds a way to fight back, to get the upper hand. Then she'd have the moments where I felt her character took five steps backward, and I just wanted her to be fiercer. To be the women from the diary entry just days before. The one who was going to use Rose Red's power, but never really does. Still as a whole I enjoyed the character.

I also really enjoyed the side character and their relationships. I liked that Ellen had a friend to turn when all the supernatural stuff dusted up. A friend that lead her down the path to talk to the house. I adore her relationship with Sukeena. Really liked that we got some closer between Ellen and her son Adam.

Also, I will admit to the book freaking me right out a couple of times. Once while I was reading past my bedtime and alone in the house. I'm not too big to admit I totally slept with the lights on that night. 

While I did enjoy this book there was a few things sort irked me. There a few times jumps between entries. Not a big deal. It skips times of normalcy in the house, or Ellen just wasn't writing. It's mentioned at the start of the book only the entries about Rose Red would be in the book. Anything mundane would be omitted. The author edits that followed the "missing" entries wasn't really needed. In fact they sort of pulled away from the story due to them being in caps lock, and overly explaining why something was left out. Mostly it was the caps lock thing. A small explanation would be fine, of a little footnote or something. 

The other thing was the weird little tryst between John, Ellen, and Sukeena. There a few parts of the books that are a bit tawdry. But, up until this point it wasn't really anything that pulled away from the story. Until this unnecessary threesome thing happened. It just felt like a bit of over kill. Up until this point we are made very aware of John's womanizing ways. Also, toward the end he's in a downward spiral already. It was just awkward for everyone.

Everything else about this book is solid. It's creepy, it ties into the mini series, and Ellen is a solid main character. I'm glad I picked it up and I enjoyed my time with it over the last couple of days.

Buy, Borrow, or Skip: I say borrow. I enjoyed the book and thought it creepy, but honestly I don't see myself picking it up again.

HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment