Saturday, October 3, 2020

Cursed Object - Review

Author: J.W. Ocker
Genre: Nonfiction
Format: E-Book
Pages: 288

I've always had a love for the weird and the macabre. I've always been quick to grab books about haunted houses, cities, or just regional ghost stories. So I was really excited about a book wholly dedicated to Cursed Objects, especially one that came out during the start of the Spooky Season.

That being said I'm a little on the fence when it comes to my feelings about Cursed Objects as a whole. On the one hand, it is an enjoyable read for anyone whether a lover the strange and unusual or newer just a passing fancy. I hadn't heard of several objects in this book which mean I wasn't bored, and every object was well researched. It was easy to see that J.W. Ocker put a lot of time and energy into this book.

I even really liked the fact that Ocker put a few his own opinions into the book, little jokes, and personal observations. The content didn't feel stodgy or stuffy. It was light-hearted and easy to read. Ocker used pop culture references and little jokes to keep the tone light. I found myself laughing at places, as well as intrigued about what I was reading.

The artwork was also fun and in place helped to visualize some of the pieces, especially the ones I had no point of reference for. I also really liked that Ocker make a distinction between cursed and haunted. Though a few items that straddle both definitions did make an appearance.

On the other hand, I will say I got confused form time to time with the objects and how they were organized. And, I know that is a personal preference. I also had to go back and re-read paragraphs because I would get lost within the story Ocker was telling. He would sort of go off on this side quest and I'd forget where we'd started.

Also, and this probably only an e-book issue, when another past, or future, object was mentioned there was a link to go back, or forward, to that object. Personally, it was kind of distracting and felt kind of unneeded. Since the book isn't just an information dump is very easy to remember what I'd read in previous pages. 

This was good since while I was reading this I was personally distracted and I didn't have any problems coming in and out of this book. It was however kind of distracting when I'd go to turn the page and accidentally end up somewhere else.

All-in-all, Cursed Objects was a fun read and I'm glad I picked it up. 

Buy, Borrow, or Skip: I saw snag this one from your local library. It's not super scary, but it a fun read for this time of year. Also if you aren't into super creepy books, but want a fun sort of Halloween read this is the one. Creepy objects told in a not so creepy way. I really kind of Ocker to have a podcast now.


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment