Thursday, October 8, 2020

The Witches of Willow Hall - Review

 

Author: Hester Fox
Genre: Gothic Romance / Paranormal
Format: Paperback
Pages: 364


I really enjoyed this book. I wasn't really sure since I've just started to dip my toes anything labeled with inside the Romance genre, but Hester Fox creates a beautiful story. I feel bad that I waited so long to pick this one off my shelves because I devoured a good chunk of this book over the course of two days. And, I've already bought another of Hester Fox's books to read, hopefully, before years end.

The Witch of Willow Hall follows Lydia Montrose after a scandal as forced her family out of Boston and into the country. I think Hester Fox does a pretty good job of laying out bread crumbs so you have a pretty good idea of what the scandal. In fact, leading up to the big reveal of that little mystery I had two theories on what it could be, and I knew it all center around the eldest sister, Catherine. What I hadn't expected was to be right on all accounts, and I will say that left me a little gobsmacked. To the point I had to put the book down and just sort of adjusting accordingly to that bit of news.

The entire story is told through Lydia's point of view as the middle child. Naive in her own way, but also forced to grow up a little as well in regards to their youngest sister. She is that sort of classic Gothic heroine that you really can't help but adore and feel for. She's stuck between doing what's right and what she feels she must.

A thought the setting for the whole book was amazing. Willow Hall is the perfect haunted house with a horrid back story to boot. Then of course there is the worst kept secret of Lydia's magical abilities that her mother is hiding from her. So both are just a powder keg waiting to explode.

I felt like the characters themselves were well fleshed out, at least of our main cast. Catherine and Cyrus were the best kinds of villains. You couldn't help but hate them and I wished so many bad things upon them. Cyrus is just a weasel of a man, and Catherin is just a wretched soul who never seemed happy unless her sisters, and even her mother, were also miserable.

As for the romance, it's annoyed me about as much any romance does in settings like this. There were a lot of false starts due to both parties. On Lydia for always being so jealous of their sister, and on John for not being a little more clear on his feelings. Then there's Catherin being horrid and meddling in things. Honestly, I was very happy with how things ended up for Lydia and John. I felt it was deserving of them both.

One of my complaints is I felt like Catherine got off too easy and deserve to suffer a bit more for the pain she put everyone through. Though, honestly, that is a personal feeling.

I also wish we would have gotten a bit more about the witchcraft side of the book. A bit more history of the Hales, and seen a bit more what Lydia and her younger sister could do. I would have also liked to see more of the ghost inside the house. While you felt bad for the terror that Lydia felt, I wish we would have seen more on the page I guess. Seen more of the terror that Moses was and the grief that caused the main haunting of the house. I just felt like there was more to give with the history of Willow Hall. More moments to keep the pages turning.

Though, I will say this book ripped my heart out a handful of times, especially with the story arc surrounding the younger sister. I really kind of wish we'd have gotten a bit of her point of view throughout the story for various reasons. I think it would have a bit more scare for the story.

But, I really wanted more about the Hale women and their powers. I would have loved to get a sneak at what was in the book Lydia was gifted toward the end of the story. Just to give us a little more meat on what exactly Lydia was capable of, and why Willow Hall spoke to her like it did.

All-in-all though a really good book. A really good debut! This was a quick read, and really easy to follow along with. I hit a bit of a personal rut about three quarters through this book, and it was easy to pick up and finish. I immediately remembered where I left off and was able to jump back into the story. Which was great because I was enjoying it up until my rut!

Buy, Borrow, or Skip: I would say if you looking for a spooky read that's not so scary for this season to borrow this from your local library. It's a great Fall, curled up with your favorite blanket and tea read. But, if your a Pride and Prejudice I saw buy. This book gave me a kind of cross over vibes between that and Atonement  


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment