Monday, October 12, 2020

Short Horror Mini Reviews


This was one of my most anticipated reads of 2020, but it didn't hold up to all the hype. It was a brilliant idea, I loved whose point of view that we got and I love the idea of "living plastic". However, everything felt so rushed. I understand that our killer is on a timetable, but everything felt so rushed that I hard time being scared or creeped out by anything they did. I spent of a lot of time going back and re-reading pages because quickly things jumped from one chapter to the next, especially toward the end. I also would have liked to have gotten a little more about our killer. Because as thing sat you really find what causes them to go so far so quickly. Plus, there was zero interaction really between this friend group, so you don't really get attached to anyone as they die. So it was hard for me to really have any emotion either way on what was going on. 

I'm not even sure where, to begin with, this, except that I thoroughly enjoy it. Though this book wasn't scary, it was definitely spooky. From the rotting dryad to Fray there are some definite ick moments. This is also beautifully written. Emily Tesh creates a beautiful landscape in the first few pages through Toby's eyes, and through his point of view, you can't help but fall in love with Greenhallow's woods. While it's hard to track time in this story because Toby sees time differently than humans, the story itself is easy to track. And, the use of flashbacks helps to build a strong plot. Fay is so easy to hate and Toby and Silver easy to fall in the move, and I loved Mrs. Silver. My heartbroken for Toby toward the end, but it was amazing to the "modern" world through his eyes as Mrs. Silver brought him into it. There is so much that happens in so few pages you feel like you read a complete novel and I can not wait to read the second novella in this duology.

HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment