Friday, July 29, 2022

House of Slaughter Vol 1 - Review


Author: James Tynion IV
Genre: Horror / Graphic Novel 
Format: Paperback
Pages: 144

THIS! THIS!! I've been so excited about this. Listen I know we didn't get a lot of Aaron Slaughter in the original series, but we got enough that I quickly fell for him. I've always been a sucker for sad side characters. And, there was something about the way they spoke, and handled, Erica that had me wondering a bit about their back story.

So I was beyond excited that Aaron Slaughter was finally getting his own story.

This did not disappoint. Aaron isn't like the other kids in the Order. He isn't a robot, he feels on a level that none of the other initiates. It's a nice foreshadowing that between him and Erica they are going to change the way the Order function.

It does however deepen the pain of the fact that Aaron is dead. Though, maybe, just maybe he's not as dead as we think. Doubtful, but now there is a shred of hope.

Honestly, I liked this just as much as the original series. It was nice to get to see more into the inner working of the Order. This first volume did leave me with some questions. Like what really happened to the House of Butcher. Did the Order slaughter them all?

Order, did they kill themselves with all the in-fighting?

I definitely think the Dragon could have done it. Though he seems to have a soft spot for Erica, he gives me creepy uncle vibes.

House of Slaughters has everything that I love about Something is Killing the Children. With the bonus of seeing little Aaron grow into the man, we see in the first series.

My only complaint about this series is a personal one. I had a little bit of trouble keeping track of the timeline. Because this story jumps back and forth between fifteen years. Every so often the panels would jump and I'd get a little flip turned around. But, that was probably more of my thing, than a continuity problem.

Either way, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I'd love to get more of teenage Aaron. Even more so see what happened to Jace after the "death" of Aaron.



HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment