Thursday, July 7, 2022

The United States of Cryptid - Review

Author: J.W. Ocker
Genre: Supernatural
Format: e-Book
Pages: 288

Huge thanks to Quirk Books and Netgalley for an early release copy of The United States of Cryptids for my honest review!

This was so much fun! I took my time to read this one. A couple of chapters every night before bed or in the afternoon. I really liked that Ocker split the book up into sections starting with the East Coast and heading West. It allowed for some stories to cross over into each region, but it never felt like as a reader we got stuck on a specific cryptid. Because there is so much Bigfoot, everywhere. It also made the story feel like a journey, a road trip as we stopped to learn about each of these monsters.

Normally I'm not a big notetaker while I read. Occasionally I highlight a funny line, or a quick though so I don't forget for the review. But, with this book, I took down so many notes and thoughts as I read along. I think part of it has to do with the fact I love Ocker's narration throughout the book, never taking themselves too seriously just enjoying what their writing. It was just random thought that popped while I was reading that I felt I needed to jot down, and the app I read this had a note-taking funtion.

On top of taking notes, I did a lot of Googling as I read. The artwork found throughout the book is great because not all of these cryptids have normal forms So it was great to get an of what people thought they saw, and a lovely little shock to just scroll down and a strange creature was looking at you. But, a handful of these stories had footage involved with their stories. So I would Google that after the chapter, or look up the photos that were taken. Which was fun, mostly creepy, but fun.

I did get to thinking with this book about the biggest time period of people seeing these cryptids, and it left me with some thoughts. That maybe we don't see so many cryptids encounters these days because of the advancements in technology and TV Shows. The world doesn't seem too big and vast these days, and so many people are quick with the need to debunk stories attached to cryptids. Personally, I liked the idea that these things are out there somewhere. Like there's still a bit of magic in the world, and only a lucky, frightened, few have gotten to see it. Maybe it's silly because a part of me can definitely sit down and rationalize what those people probably saw. 

But, where's the fun in that. I like the idea of the monster under the bed or these cases mostly in the woods.

What makes this book stand out is how much fun Ocker seemed to have as they wrote it. This was something shared with Ocker's family, well researched, and never taking itself too seriously. Even stories that had proven a hoax were included in this book. Because they're still a good story, a good legend to be told around a campfire. It was fun to read because it felt like Ocker had a blast researching for it. And, I don't think there was a part that didn't enjoy.

No that's a lie, my least favorite story was the grey aliens. Only that doesn't have anything to with Ocker and everything to with the fact the idea of grey aliens creeps me right out. Not a fan. My favorite story was Sinkhole Sam, but I grew up on stories of Sam since I was born and raised in Kansas. So I was beyond thrilled to him make the pages of this work. The Thunderbird is also a favorite of mine. And, the weirdest story by a mile was the Slide-Rock Bolter. I had to read that story twice to make sure what I thought I read, was what I actually read. Because what?!

This book was great and I cannot thank Quirk Books enough for letting me snag it early! This will definitely be one I buy to add to my shelves! The Unitest States of Cryptids: A Tour of American Myths and Monsters will go on sale on September 27 of this year!


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment