Monday, July 11, 2022

I Know What You Did Last Summer - Review

Author: Lois Duncan
Genre: Horror / Young Adult
Format: Paperback
Pages: 240

Okay, I read this years ago, way back in my junior high years. In fact, I read through several of Duncan's books that year, and I remember loving this one. I remember loving all of Lois Duncan's books, but this one was my favorite. So when I found this copy on sale at Book Outlet, with this really excellent cover, there wasn't a second thought when I added it to my cart. Adult me couldn't wait to go back and read this again after so long.

Now I can definitely see why I liked this book twenty years ago. Little me was just starting to learn to the really spooky stuff, breaking out the Goosebumps hold and into scarier books, TV, and movies. So I see what the younger version of me loved so much about this book.

Older me, older me was a little underwhelmed with this one. So much so that I had a hard time finishing the last fifty, or so, pages. While I had forgotten about ninety percent of this book, the second the bad guy was introduced I clocked them. Knew they were the ones behind it all. The only thing I didn't connect was how the do-er connected to Julie and Helen. 

I hated all four of the main characters in this book. Barry is a tool, like his photo is in the dictionary under the word tool. I don't think I've been so excited to see a character get shot before. Like I did a little dance when it happened. Helen is vapid as hell, I understand why her sister hates her. I hated her. No, because she was the "pretty" one of the "dumb" one. Because she let herself get so wrapped in making Barry the biggest part of who she was, and her future. Hard pass. Julie had zero spine in this book, zero. I will die on that hill. Same for Ray, and he was a possessive ass who needed to step off. Screw your pact do the right thing, or suck it up and live with your guilt. But, I hated the whining and the loyalty speeches. 

I rolled my eyes so much that I'm shocked they didn't stay that way.

Now that little rant over, I Know What Your Did Last Summer isn't a bad book. A version of me liked this book, a younger version of me. Personally, I think this is one of those books that were written with younger readers a hundred percent in mind, and now that I've grown as a reader this doesn't appeal to me anymore. Doesn't make it a bad book, just means this is no longer for me. It's easy to see what this book turned into a movie. There is a lot of potential in the story, and this is a rare one where I really liked the movie over the book.

Julie from the movie version is one of my favorite final girls. Julie from the book is kind of terrible.

I also want to mention that this book has been updated since the original that came out in the '70s. Duncan when through and modernized the story, adding cellphones and changing the war our villain just came home from. Small details that new young readers would be able to connect with in a way that they may not have with the original story. I thought that was really cool that she did that. Small little touches to keep the story alive with a new generation. 

So not a terrible read, just not what I thought it was going to be off my memory of how much I loved this at one time. It did however remind me how much I love this movie, so that will be happening in my future soon.



HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment