Thursday, July 21, 2022

Tomb of Ybwen - Review

Author: Greg Pak
Genre: Horror / Young Adult
Format: Paperback
Pages: 96

At this point in time, I don't want to talk about the end of season four. It just broke my heart into a thousand tiny pieces. So in an attempt to make myself feel better, I added this gem to my collection. Now, I've read a few of the tie-ins to the show in the last, I refuse to do the math, it'll also cause me pain. But, this is the second graphic novel tie I've picked up. The first was the first season told from Will's point of view. Which was good. I remember liking it. So when I saw my local comic book store had this one, I didn't think twice about snagging a copy.

First, I love the fact they tied this not only to season three of Stranger Things but there are so many Goonies moments sprinkled inside. Goonies was a childhood favorite of mine and it's one of my go-to I feel like crap movies. So I loved that this combined two of my favorite things.

The most important thing is this is all about Will who I feel is one of the most underused characters since really season one. I feel like all of his trauma was sort of just swept under the rug in the shows, and he was forced to just get over it. So it was nice to get to see him mourn Bob's death and just generally not be alright. It was also nice to see him get a little bit closer throughout this all series. Because honestly in the show I feel like he hasn't really gotten a lot of that.

I felt like the characters were spot on from the show. Sometimes with the tie-ins, characters don't always feel the same, And, that makes it hard to get through. That's been my biggest issue with other Stranger Things tie-ins, the characters had felt a little flat and not like the personalities the actor gives them in the show. This wasn't a problem for me here. Kudos to Pak for delivering on that.

The artwork really sold me on being able to fall back into season three. I don't know how did the panels for this got them so close to life-like, but it was cool. Creepy at times, but cool all the same. They got Mike and Dustin's facial expressions almost perfect. Though Big Brother Byers might have been the most realistic of them all, and it threw for a loop in the like one, or two, panels he was in.

All in all, this was a solid read and a lot of fun. I haven't been much in a reading mode this month. Lots of work-related stress, but this was the perfect way to take my mind off all that. It was nice to go back to before the show was killing off characters I love, and throwing pieces of my heart into the wind.


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment