Monday, September 23, 2019

Bunnicula - Review

Author: Deborah and James Howe
Genre:  Fantasy
Series: Bunnicula #1
Format: E-book
Pages: 98


Some how throughout my childhood this book never once made an appearance. Which is saying something because I read Dracula in elementary school, and since then have loved vampire fiction, lore, TV, etc. But, miss it a I did until years later while at Pub Quiz this was an answer and I felt betrayed. 

After a stressful couple of days at work my flatmate convinced me to borrow it from the library. I saw no flaw in her plan.

This was the cutest thing I've read all year. It's not hard at all to see why Bunnicula is considered a classic. It's a book that all ages can enjoy, and honestly was exactly what I needed after the last two nights on my long bus rides home. I have no shame and will giggle out loud. Which I did for most of this book.

Bunnicula told from Harold's, the family dog, point of view. I love when he describes anything about Chester the cat. Because I feel like it's all things we've thought about cats at one time or another.  I also really like that both Harold and Chester just aren't just pets, but part of the family. Harold sitting at the table is normal as long as feet stay of the table. Chester has his own chair. I also really enjoyed how these two characters weren't made to seem too human. Yeah they talked, but they still had the little animal ticks. Chester with his need to bathe, Harold's begging for bacon and chocolate cupcakes. 

As for the story itself, it's super cute, hilarious, and moves a quick pace. I loved the bits of lore we got as Chester tried to defeat the vampire bunny, and how Harold became attached to the cute little ball of fluff through out the ordeal. It was nice that between the schemes you get see the family as a unit, being together. Trying to solve the mystery of the white vegetables. I loved how it all sort of ended in the best way possible, with a vet visit. I even loved the changes they made to lore to make it a bit more kid friendly. Because when your a kid what's more scary than eating your vegetables?


There are also illustrations in every chapter, and they were also super cute. My favorite is definitely Chester's sad face when he stuck outside all night. I've got a cat who wouldn't enjoy a night sleeping outside either.

Honestly I don't have anything bag to say about the books. I'm sad these weren't apart of my childhood, but I'm glad I picked it up now. It was an adorable read after a long day on my feet. Something I could have read to my little brother when he was younger. The perfect Halloween bed time story.

Buy, Borrow, or Skip:  If you got little kids who like monster stories, I say add it to their collection. If your a kid at heart with a library card, borrow it from Libby. It's worth the space!



HAPPY READING!!


No comments:

Post a Comment