Saturday, June 29, 2024

Convenant, Vol 1 - Review


Author: Lysandra Voung
Genre: Fantasy / Graphic Novel
Format: Paperback
Pages: 240



Author: Lysandra Voung
Genre: Fantasy / Graphic Novel
Format: Paperback
Pages: 240


I've seen this all over my Instagram Dash for the last few months. And I will not tell a lie, the title threw me all the back to a movie of the same title, and I giggled every time. That aside, what pulled me toward this was the sort of John Constantine vibes that really drew me toward this book. 

I went into this not really knowing what to expect from it. Despite how much I was seeing it across my Dash, I managed to stay focused on what people were saying. I wanted to form my own thoughts and opinions on it. What I did gather was a lot of people were really enjoying it.

I am now one of those people. 

Outside of anything else the world that LySandra Voung created is amazing. We also see a lot of how that world works in this first volume, but it's done so well. It flows along with the plot really well as you start to pick up the pieces of how these exorcisms work. How the people inside the church work. And even a little bit of how the demons work.

Even the flashbacks in this volume flow really well. Allowing us to see a bit of the two of the main characters' past, without giving too much away. There are still parts of Sunny's and Ezra's past that we got nuggets of, but not full-fledged answers to.

Another thing I liked about this is the 'young' characters in this are in college. It's nice to see Young Adult pushed out of the teenage halls and into the early twenties portion of Young Adult.  It's a little thing, but it's personally I thought it was nice to see.

The plot moves pretty quickly but unfolds in a way I never once got lost. It just kind of keeps you on the edge of your seats with the Sunny situation and the fighting between two of the churches. A lot is going on in this plot, but I'm a hundred percent invested. 

I also really like this is a slow-burn romance. A lot of time in the sort of urban fantasy, and paranormal, genres romance is what kickstarts everything. Or sort of just happens somewhere in the middle. So it was nice that the interest is there, but nothing has really kicked off yet.

Ezra and Sunny have a lot on their plates right now.

My own real downside with this book is waiting until October for the next volume. I'm not good at waiting. I like binging graphic novels.
 




HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment