Saturday, June 8, 2024

Cryptids, Creatures, and Critters - Review

Author: Rachel Quinney
Genre: Nonfiction / Graphic Novel
Format: e-Book
Pages: 205

Cryptids, Creatures, and Critters is set to be released on June 18, 2024!

A huge thank you to Net Galley and Andrews McMeel Publishing for a chance to have an early copy of Cryptids, Creatures, and Critters. This book was an absolute delight and perfect for young adult readers and above who want to learn about cryptids, creatures of mythology, and folklore.

What I absolutely adored about this book was that a whole crew of illustrators worked on this book. So there's no one style throughout the book other than whimsy. None of the illustrations are what I called scary. Most were absolutely adorable, even if maybe they shouldn't have been. I still really enjoyed them. It was a look at how each illustrator thought, or maybe felt, how these creatures could, or should look. It was also fun to see the little pop-up comments here and there from illustrators. 

Another upside for me about Cryptids, Creatures, and Critters was this book wasn't filled with creatures, or beings, that I'd heard stories of a thousand times. There were creatures and stories, I'd never heard before. There was also a wide variety of stories told. Rachel Quinney didn't just pigeonhole this book into one region. It encompasses the entire world and jumps from culture to culture and country to country.

I also liked that this book is separated into three separate categories: Crytpids, Folklore, and Mythology. Personally, I don't think many people confused cryptids for anything other than cryptids, especially in recent years with the sort of cult following cryptids have developed. However, I have definitely crossed the streams for the difference between folklore and mythology and have to hit Google up. So I think it was great that there was a distinction between the two and their stories. Mostly because folklores get a little creepy and oddly violent considering they're meant to keep children from acting out for the most part. 

Super enjoyed my time with this book. It was a quick read, great after a long day to wind down before bed. The illustrations throughout are amazing. You can tell a lot of work and love went into this project, and I'm so glad that I was allowed to get an early look at Cryptids, Creatures, and Critters!



HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment