Friday, February 21, 2020

Gwendy's Magic Feather - Review

Author: Richard Chizmar
Genre:  Thriller
Series: Gwendy's Box #2
Format: Paperback
Pages: 212


I really liked this as follow up to the first book, Gwendy's Button Box. She's a great character and I was glad that unlike so many of the protagonists that come from Castle Rock, she managed to survive her ordeal. While Richard Chizmar has his won writing style, I felt like he did King's world justice. It felt like a story that could in seamlessly with the time lines already set up. I especially enjoyed the little throw backs to other stories. A reminder that the Button Box wasn't the weirdest thing to ever to happen to Castle Rock..

While Gwendy was an adult in this book, she still felt like the same Gwendy from Button Box. She seemed freer since no longer having to keep one eye on the Button Box, and so far everything Mr. Farris had predicted was coming true for her. Things were still swinging her way even though she no longer had the box. Until she did. Even her parents were written almost exactly where they had left off in the end of the first book. The writing style my have changed, but the characters were lifted straight out and done justice.

Even the new characters seemed to fit into Castle Rock. Even the town itself was done perfectly. A sleepy little town where way to much weird stuff goes down.

My favorite bit was how dealing with box changed as Gwendy got older. The way she views the world changed, but not only because of her age. Because of her job as well. She sees the bigger problems, and knows what the box can do now. How the box could change the course of those moments. It was a deeper struggle this time for Gwendy to protect the box. 

The story itself is hard to put down. I'm not the fastest reader, but I devoured this book in one afternoon. Mostly because there isn't a good part to put down the book. There's the mystery of why she has the Button Box back, and also the mystery who is the Tooth Fairy. Which is a serial killer that definitely works will with King's canon. That part of the story gave me serious Dead Zone vibes. There was never a point where any part of the story would lag. One thing would finish, but then another part would rise up.

Though, I was did figure out who the Tooth Fairy was pretty quick once we met him. That gut feeling of having read so many Stephen King books that I sort of knew what to look for when it comes to the bad guys.

My only real issue was the random piece of artwork that fit between chapters. They really weren't needed, and didn't add much to the story. A couple of them didn't even make sense with what I was reading, or had just read. Chizmar has a wonderfully vivid writing style that made them unneeded.

As a whole I was satisfied with who everything ended. I though Chizmar did a great job continuing the story. I really enjoyed his writing style and will definitely read more works by him. It was fun to see a grown-up Gwendy get some answers to questions that have haunted since getting the box the first time. It was a great read. 



HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment